Finally!!!!!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If you remember from last year I built a box for my SSB? If not, here is an image of that project.

IMG_20160424_120955.jpg

Well, it wasn't long after this work of art that my SSB failed. So much for that. I decided instead of a Kenwood TS50, I would get an Icom IC707. It is very similar to the Icom IC718 in fit, form, and almost function. The radio has fewer bells and whistles which is fine with me.

So I start to build a new box for that radio. Took forever due to lack of motivation, but I finally finished it. I still have to wire it for power, but the hard work is done.

I present to you, my new "comm" station...

IMG_0334.jpg

I have added power switches to ensure I did not leave something on to drain the battery. The three switches are not labeled yet but the will be (L-R) SSB - VHF - GPS. The small meter under the VHF (far left) is power/current. The GPS is used for the VHF's DSC.

Now, to finish this up, put it in the boat, and get the antenna project done. Motivation has returned.

Feb 17, 2006
Replaced it with the fancy white sim vinyl. The wood trim made the boat seem dark. LOL

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The wood trim made the boat seem dark.
That's only because you stuck it in front of the sunny port. You need to hide it in a corner. Then the sun can shine in and reflect off the white of the wood trimmed cabinet.:biggrin:

Feb 17, 2006
Power on test!

IMG_0340sm.jpg

Everything seems to be OK. Didn't test the Tx function of either radio. I'll do that on the boat. However, I do have one issue that is bugging me. I do not have an accurate shunt and it is showing 300ma lower than what my clamp on amp meter is reading. I am sure there is a way to fix that so I will have to do a lot of research. But for now, looks like this project can be put to bed.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Good for you! Finished off the waterproof box for the tuner yesterday and hauled everything to the boat with hopes of an install tomorrow.

Feb 17, 2006
Whoot! Sounds good @Rick D. I have to test using dipoles when I get to the boat. I still need to run coax and tuner control cables aft. I have all the parts for an external 35.5' (plus GTO-15 cable) install. Now that "winter is coming" I can work without dying of heat. LOL

My research is showing me that I will need to nip some of the shunt resistor to bring the current value on the meter up. Have to be careful not to nip too much. I don't think I have a spare one. I thought I bought 2 but does not look that way. We'll see.

May 13, 2013
Tayana 48DS Phoenix, AZ
If you haven't adjusted it yet, use a file to <slowly> adjust that shunt. I've had similar problems with Chinese shunts - you're lucky you aren't trying to make it less resistance :)

Feb 17, 2006
Hi @Hartley! Yeah, I saw a Youtube video of a guy who had the same issue. Not quite ready to apply a hacksaw yet, but the thought has occurred that that could be a simple fix. One day. But seriously, an exact current indication is not all that important. It is just something cool to look at. LOL

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
Brian,
Nice looking install. I inherited my fathers IC-707 a long time ago. You are correct, it is the predecessor of the IC-718. Good solid radio. I keep it as a backup to my IC-756 pro. I could not tell from your pictures, but is the back enclosed? The 707 is a 100 watt class radio, and needs plenty of opening for the cooling fan. The other thing I may question, is the current rating of your switches? Most of the normal DC rated switches are only rated for about 15A. The radio pulls an honest 20A at full output on peaks (SSB). If I remember, standby (receive) is about 2A. It's easy enough to install a 12v relay that is switched to carry the high current of the 707. Again, a very nice install. If I ever get my boat back to salt water, I will have to install a SSB rig, For now I am inland, so it is not necessary.

Mitch

Feb 17, 2006
Hey Mitch...

The box is only three sided: bottom, right side, front. But it will rest against one of the bulkheads so that leave the top open and the very back.

The switches are rated at 30amps. I also made sure that the used to feed each switch/radio matched the original. So the 707 is being feed 14AWG from the distribution block, into the switch, the 14AWG to the radio. I was very keen on making sure that each path was capable of support the current requirements.

Tomorrow I will take a photo of the back so you can see the rats nest.

MitchK

Sep 22, 2017
Capital Yachts Newport 28 Burbank, WA
I figured you had the ventilation issue sorted out as well as the switch ratings. 14ga is a little light for 20A, but the runs are very short, and the loads are intermittent, so it should work well.

Along with the Icom radios I listed, I also have a IC706MK2G which is my camping radio, and an Alinco SR8T which I picked up for a spare. It was only 6 months old when I got it used at about 1/2 price of new. The Alinco is the radio I am thinking of putting in the boat eventually. Though the 706 would work well too. I have been looking at some of the surplus Icom marine radios. I really liked the higher output power. Especially when working with a compromise antenna. I still have a few years of working to go before I can start cruising. As it is now, I am on an inland river about 300 miles upriver from the Pacific Ocean, so the HF is not a necessity at this time. Again, a really nice install.

Mitch

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, they are very short runs. I had also only planned on using at max 50 watts. When using RMSExpress I would use 25 watts or less. I went with 14 because that was the standard power cable for the radio. It was also rated at 32 amps, but not as a power transmission. Regardless, it works and there is no overheating. But you know, it could be 12AWG. LOL

A photo as promised. Please excuse the lens distortion.

IMG_0365a.jpg