Finally will sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tony

After 15 years of powerboating I'm ready for the new sport (sailing). I need some input from you folks, should I start with a dinghy, or somthing midsize! Will it matter after all I have boating safty and handling experience. I plan on keeping my 70 mile an hour speedboat just in case sailing isn't for me. I have access to both moring and a dock up to 26 ft. My 11 year old daugter went to sail school she is anxious too. What should I buy? Thanks, AI
 
Apr 19, 1999
1,670
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
My two cents...

Try a daysailer or a small trailerable keelboat in the 18 to 22 foot range. They are essentially the same hull with different deck layouts. Boats in this range are big enough to sail comfortably (room for family or friends AND a cooler) and not too tender (hiking out is optional rather than mandatory). They are inexpensive, easy to trailer and maintain, can be paddled or sculled home if the outboard dies, and are light enough to perform well in light to medium air. You should be able to get a decent used Flying Scot, Com-Pac 16, Precision 18, Hunter 19, Rhodes 19 or Catalina 22 with a trailer and outboard for under 5 grand. If it doesn't work out, you should be able to sell it for what you paid. Try the HOW Smaller Boats Forum too. Good luck. Peter H23 "Raven"
 
M

Mark

To Start

I went through the same transition as you. My reason to go to sailing was mostly to have my boating more relaxing. Sailing is relaxing at times but it requires some work. With that being said, I would start off with an older 25 with tiller steering. The reasons for this are as follows. An older boat is a good idea because docking is totally differant, you really can't power out of most situations,(you may hit docks) Tiller steering will give you a real (Feel) for the way the boat sails. I started with a 25 after a year moved up to a 31. You might find, as I have that sailing is more fun in the long run. Although you STILL will chase speed just 6 to 7 knots not 70 to 75 mph.
 
L

Larry

Attitude , not altitude .

It will be hard for you to change from motoring at 70 mph to sailing with the breeze God rations out to you. Your 11 year old may have the passion you will have to inherit, or even earn. She's acquired, you will have to inherit. Enter your adventure with an open mind. 70 mph is good. Sailing is good. They are two different things. Driving a car and riding a bike are different too, but I don't try to compare,--I just enjoy both. My family sails a 15' day sail craft when we have only a few hours to enjoy. When we get really serious about sailing we take out our 19' cabin cruiser on the "big lake". It takes both boats for us, because of time constraints. The small boat helps keep our skills refined. The larger boat gives us a feel for sailing the larger lakes like the sailing boats in past historical times did. Either way, the wind setting the sail, the boat moving thru the water so effortlessly, the rudder making even the smallest changes something to wonder about....all adds to the thrill.
 
D

David Foster

Consider a sailing school

A good week vacation plus learning about the quiet, relaxing way to move on the water. And a chance to go down the road with some knowledge, and without a commitment to a boat. Nothing wrong with the other advice either. I started by building a small sailboat with my date, and then flipping it until we learned. (Spiced with lot's of good reading.) David LAcy Lillie '77 h27
 
W

Warren

Value Of Sailing!

One very important thing to remember when it comes to sailing is....... "Its the trip, not the destination" You could have alot of fun with a Sunfish (14') or a daysailor (15'-19') Start small, you can always move up later. welcome Aboard!!! Warren
 
R

Rob

If speed excited you... try a catamaran

That is was I learned on. They are very stable, and VERY fast - believe me. I think you will come to agree with me that 6 inches above the water at 20 kts seems a lot like 50 mph at 4 feet above the water. Catamarans are also very stable, and somewhat forgiving. I strongly recommend that you take lessons, as you will learn quicker this way, and frustration levels will be kept to a minimum. Above all - get moving! Go get some experience while your desire is still up. My next door (slip) neighbor is a reformed power boater, and he hasn't looked back since. Rob
 
L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Small boat

It sounds like what you want is something fun for you
 
J

Joe Ford

Two more cents worth....

I like Peter's suggestions.... while you are taking sailing lessons, you can probably rent a few different size daysailers and get an idea of the right size and configuration to share with you daughter. Whatever you do, encouraging your daughter's enthusiasm for sailing, by either sailing with her or helping her get her own boat, will enhance your relationship immeasurably.
 
J

jim oursler

I'd recommend small - wet or dry?

An eleven year old needs something she can sheet in. Otherwise she will soon lose interest. Do you want to sail dry, or can you stand wet? Wet has more small options. You might check with a local sailing school. Please spring for instruction before a boat. Then you will have some water time and better know what you are getting into.
 
D

Dave

Playstation is for sale

Mr. Fossett has placed Playstation on the market for sail. You might want to consider this option. You will have the biggest racing catamaran in the world.
 
C

Camw

It all depends

What do you plan to do with your boat? If you want something to sail weekends, etc, with an occasional overnight, then try the Rhoades 22. New or used (if you can find one used), it is an ideal small boat. Flotation for safety--you can't sink it. and comfortable with furling main and jib. If you want to cruise and spend a week or more aboard occasionally, go for a Hunter 34 (or maybe a smaller Hunter). If you have the cash and really want a hand full of boat, try the Hunter 40.5. Expensive, but you can comfortably live aboard. It all depends. Cam
 
J

Jim

Go 20' or less, or more than 27'

Hi, One of the choices that might help you sort out what to buy is whether or not you intend to cruise and spend days or weeks on the boat. If so, you probably want to go to something 27' or more, depending on how much headroom your personal height requires. This size boat will entail more systems to maintain...head, water, typically an inboard diesel, shore power, batteries and wiring, etc. If you only expect to day sail, get something 20' or less and simple...maybe with a cuddy cabin to store your sails in and keep lunch dry, etc. The smaller boat can be powered by an easier to maintain outboard, or go with no power at all. Had a 25 footer back when, with family of four and found it too small for more than one (cramped) over night. Also, low on headroom as I am 6' 2". So, my advice is go bigger than 27' if you want to cruise, or go smaller if you only want to day sail. Obviously big difference in boat price as well... Good luck and enjoyl... Jim
 
J

Jim McCue

Why not club it first

Take a sailing school out of Orchard beach, join their "rental" club and see if you really like it before going whole hog into a boat. On the Sound you may want more boat than a trailerable. It also gets foggy as I remember sailing out of Larchmont YC years ago. A friend had a J24 then. Winds do pick up there at times. Try a club first before buying. Jim McCue
 
L

Larry

Sailing inspirations...

Plan on getting inspired when you go sailing, whether its in a borrowed boat , a rental, or your own. The pure pleasure of sailing is what feeds your inner desires of finding something unique and worthwhile. I have three grown children, and I always wanted to pass something special to them (in their heritage_). That was fulfilled when I taught them to sail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.