Finally went for a sail

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Right - just wasn't sure maybe the why not part. I'm on an inland lake but tons of big big boats pushing lots of wake often. I'm assuming I would still want one of these anti siphon elbows. My exhaust hose runs high up into the lazarette to avoid any wake back flowing water and over filling the water lift muffler into the elbow. I think I'll be installing an elbow this winter either way.

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Since it was such a beautiful quiet day on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay, I went for some ice cream...when I got back put the helm back together with the new cable that all works.
So I'm still hearing some rattles when the engine runs so I start looking even though it's starting to get dark one of the big rattles was this yes! I was very surprised! Just laying there in the aft transom lazarettes
20211109_164524_Film3-1.jpg
20211109_164732_Film3-1.jpg

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
I was going to make a separate post on this but hey I can ask the question here thank you for following my thread of ongoing and very slow going repairs to my H34.

I will check! don't have my caliper need to pick up a new one anyhow.
What is the size of the propeller shaft packing gland and shaft log hose?
20211111_103933_Film3-1.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to go with traditional or PSS which I've had very good luck with on my other boat.

And yes I don't need to be reminded it will need alignment all the mounts are new so that shouldn't be too big of a problem..

At first glance looks like 1" shaft, 1.75"for the shaft log?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I was going to make a separate post on this but hey I can ask the question here thank you for following my thread of ongoing and very slow going repairs to my H34.

I will check! don't have my caliper need to pick up a new one anyhow.
What is the size of the propeller shaft packing gland and shaft log hose?

I will check not sure if I'm going to go with traditional or PSS which I've had very good luck with on my other boat.

At first glance looks like 1" shaft, 1.75"for the shaft log?
Those are the dimensions for my O’Day 322 (1988).

I replaced the original bronze shaft a few years ago, but just cleaned the old stuffing box and replaced the hose.

I am going to pull my stuffing box off this winter, inspect the shaft for wear, and will probably install the Volvo dripless stuffing box. Seems more simple and compact that the PSS.

I am really tempted to try this one…but I cannot find anyone who has installed it…

Not really something I want to be the Guinea pig on…

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
So I'm still hearing some rattles when the engine runs so I start looking even though it's starting to get dark one of the big rattles was this yes! I was very surprised! Just laying there in the aft transom lazarettes
That’s a good rattle; what a find! Appears to be a very high quality lift. Must have made your day! Deciding if I want a stand alone lift or one that cantilevers off radar pole. Not in a hurry to proceed at this time.

Aug 10, 2020
Hunter 34 Austin, TX
Shaft is 1". I replaced the original stuffing box with a dripless. Mostly because the distance between flange and packing box was too short. To replace the packing I would have needed to move the engine (!). But in your setup it looks you have a good amount of room.

before - with stuffing box:
shaft_before.jpg

after - with PSS:

shaft_after.jpg