Finally sailed her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
Hello all:

It has been a while since I've posted, and I wanted to update for anyone interested.

This is the third year I've owned my 1976 Catalina 30, which I bought as a VERY worn out boat in need of rehab. I spent 2010 and 2011 working her over; new paint top & bottom, new windows, cleaned up tons of core problems, new traveler and furler, removed a bunch of un-needed hardware, varnished a bunch of the teak, re-wiring everything, new LED lighting, new mast wiring and lights, and re-sealed every hole thru the deck. It has been a long 3 years, but I'm happy to report that we finally got her on the water and sailing!

My last boat was a Catalina 25 swing keel boat, and I found it to be quite tender in gusty Kansas winds, which took some of the fun out of sailing. The 30 is so far beyond the 25 that there is no comparison. The 30 takes the gusts so much better and settles into such a wonderful ride, that I am so relaxed sailing her! I used to worry about reefing and furling several times during a cruise...now I don't have to.

Anyway, attached are a few photos of our weekend. By the way, got a bunch of complements on the paint. One lady even said she would never guess the boat is 36 years old! Makes me feel like all the work was worth it.

Attachments

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
Three years is a long time to wait to sail. Looks good. I am cleaning up a 32 and put her in the water a week ago.

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
Nice one FP. Way to bring her back. The Lake Nymphs will dig it too.

Rob

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
My Congrats to you FP, you have a good boat now, and lots of sailing in the near future.
While most of the peeps are agonizing over paper vs. plastic bags at wallyworld, you have just saved tons of FG from the landfill, there should be some $ due to all of us for that, but just be satisfied that you have saved this boat and are now able to enjoy.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Good looking boat- the new ports really make it look like a newer boat. Nice looking couple, too, I hope the boat brings the two of you much fun.

Jan 25, 2008
Hunter 25 -
Hello..I love the finished product of your long hard work. She is a real beauty.
I am wanting to repair a cracked port side window on my 1993 Hunter 23.5 and wonder where you found windows for your boat?
Please advise and thank you for sharing your pics and story with us..mark<><

Sep 6, 2007
Catalina 320 Gulfport, Fl
Way to go Air Force!!

Boat looks great so does the crew. I hope you have a lot of fun with her. You did a wonderful job. It truly reflects "Pride in Ownership"

Pat

Eman

Aug 19, 2010
Catalina 22 Ariel
Strong work mister...! I am doing the same thing to C22 #5727. I can imagine it on the level of a C30... zoinkers and congratulations...!

Nov 17, 2010
Oday 25 Percy Priest
Great and thanks for sharing your accomplishment it is a wonderful encouragement.
What type of bulbs did you replace with LED and what was your source. I have an Oday 25 that uses a #1416 mini bayonet bulb and I'm looking for an LED replacement, but I can not find the exact one although there are several for a BA9S base.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 25 lake jacomo MO
Follow up on your post...

Hello all:

It has been a while since I've posted, and I wanted to update for anyone interested.

This is the third year I've owned my 1976 Catalina 30, which I bought as a VERY worn out boat in need of rehab. I spent 2010 and 2011 working her over; new paint top & bottom, new windows, cleaned up tons of core problems, new traveler and furler, removed a bunch of un-needed hardware, varnished a bunch of the teak, re-wiring everything, new LED lighting, new mast wiring and lights, and re-sealed every hole thru the deck. It has been a long 3 years, but I'm happy to report that we finally got her on the water and sailing!

My last boat was a Catalina 25 swing keel boat, and I found it to be quite tender in gusty Kansas winds, which took some of the fun out of sailing. The 30 is so far beyond the 25 that there is no comparison. The 30 takes the gusts so much better and settles into such a wonderful ride, that I am so relaxed sailing her! I used to worry about reefing and furling several times during a cruise...now I don't have to.

Anyway, attached are a few photos of our weekend. By the way, got a bunch of complements on the paint. One lady even said she would never guess the boat is 36 years old! Makes me feel like all the work was worth it.
I have been enjoying a Catalina 25 for the past 10 years now..an 85 ..and I understand the winds kind of knocking you around....Lovely boat you have there...and it only gives me motivation to follow up on moving up...once I am nearer a lake that can give me more sailing than Jacomo does here in Kansas City. I am glad to see you out enjoying...good work and it only motivates me to keep going ...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Very nice! I admire someone with that much patience.
Enjoy your sailing!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Enjoy your refurbished ride! It looks nice. I am sure that you will get a lot of good sailing out of her!

Dec 14, 2011
summer solstice CT 44 Long Beach
post refurbish blue's -

I took about 4 years to get my 44 CT to be ready for cruising...Besides sailing I was immersed in wiring electronics and updating. Feel altitte empty now ...pretty much done. I now know every system on my boat which gives me peace of mind but do miss the projects.

MikePz

Nov 24, 2009
Island Packet 31 Tampa, FL
C-30 rehab

Your C30 looks absolutely great! I had C30 HIN #34 and did many of the same upgrades you did. Finally parted with the "ole" Lady in 2010 and bought an IP-31...Enjoy the fruits of your labor! Mike Pz

Anyway, attached are a few photos of our weekend. By the way, got a bunch of complements on the paint. One lady even said she would never guess the boat is 36 years old! Makes me feel like all the work was worth it.[/quote]

Oct 2, 2010
Hunter 34 Sarsota, Fl.
Really hard to believe that she took that much work to get her in that kind of shape.. She looks fantastic---and your boat looks great too..!! Your "living the dream" brother..!!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Foolproof,
Great work plus I like the cover for the anchor locker. We had a lot of good sailing with our Catalina 30 and I was always able to outrun my friend in their Mark II.
All U Get

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Looks good mate,
I only spent about 3 months refitting our C 30 last year, and I thought that was a long time & a lot of work! Then again I didn't have to replace compression blocks or bulkheads, etc. Most of my work was with the hull refinishing, engine, & cabin.
If you haven't, you should put up pics of your renovation process on your personal page. It's nice to look back on the before & after. Take pride in a job well done, & take her out & make her prove her metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.