Finally hit a rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oops

Oops. After boating for over a decade in the typically rocky, Northwest, I finally hit one of the buggers. We were motoring aboard our Oceanis 500 and hit the rock just as we realized we had mistaken a cove for a pass. We were confused and had consequently cut the throttle but did not reverse in time so we must have been still moving forward at over 6 knots. WHAM! Scared the %$^#&*@ out of us. It was a direct hit. We checked for damage right away and couldn't see any. What next? Do I leave her in the water and wait for spring haulout, or do I need to borrow a wetsuit and take a peek? If so what do I look for besides the obvious. She's a big, tough boat, but I am worried about her.

T

Tim

Haul it now!

Get her out of the water and inspect for damage ASAP! Hire a professional to inspect the keel/hull joint, and hull for structural damage. 6 knots to 0 is quite a jolt for something weighing (I'm guessing) 20,000+ lbs.! You can also have the keel repaired now and head off any corrosion (if its cast iron). Good luck, and don't feel so bad....there's three kinds of sailors: 1. the ones who've run aground, 2. the ones who have and deny it, and 3. the ones who will. Congratulations on becoming #1 from #3! Regards, Tim

J

Jim

If I owned a $375,000.00 boat, I'de haul it now!!

Lovely boat,Would like to own one myself. For now stuck on a tiny 411

J

Jim

If I owned a $375,000.00 boat, I'de haul it now!!

Lovely boat,Would like to own one myself. For now stuck on a tiny 411

Status
Not open for further replies.