Finally have solar on the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
OK, not the best job, but at least I can go afloat and not worry (too much) about power conservation. This is a quick job for a mini cruise my wife and I will take on Saturday.

Panel is 50 Watt Renogy I purchased on Amazon. It is mounted with insulated 1" clamps. The support is not glued together yet. I am still experimenting with how I want to use it. I was thinking mounting a tee on the lower horizontal rail and shortening the support arm. Anyway, the tee under the panel is tie wrapped to the panel. Bottom of support has nothing right now by I might add a tee or end cap for now. 1" Schedule 40 PVC support.

Results show voltage from the panel about 21.4vdc and voltage at the controller load is 14.2vdc. Connecting the controller to the battery is 3' of #14 wire. I will change that to #10 before I leave.

So, finally I can charge while sailing and on the hook. Took me awhile but I am glad that I have finally done it. Please be gentle in your criticism. ;) :dance:

Attachments

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Great job, I've been wanting to do that for a while now but it is still a dream. Now you need one for the other side :) symmetry

Feb 17, 2006
Symmetry? or wings? LOL... Yeah, for another day and another time. That would give me 100 watts. Nice.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
looks good but what about poles while pulling into/out of a slip or along a pier.......my Bar B Q is mounted in the exact spot and I can count on my fingers how many times it go whacked......never bent it or the rail cause it always moved on the clamps.....just saying

Feb 17, 2006
It can fold down, yes. But I have to loosen the rubber clamps. No big deal. Thinking nylon instead of rubber would help in that regard. Still playing around with the thing. Notice that it is not horizontal. Need to adjust the support poll a wee bit to make it eye appeasing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
For some reason, I elected to support my array just underneath the rails. It's also pivotable.

But I 'spect you don't drop your mast on the rails as much as I do? :redface:

(I hate when that happens.)

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
You obviously have professional mounting hardware, I don't. I like how yours is set up. That is what I am trying to achieve. But at a fraction of the cost. Nice install, JSG.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
im sure that will work fine... its nice to have away to keep the battery ahead of the radio consumption and lights.
the one thing i would consider is tying it down so a gust of wind cant lift it and let the lower support become unsupported...

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, centerline. A 3/16 line through the tee and to the toe rail should do the trick. At least for now.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
You obviously have professional mounting hardware, I don't. I like how yours is set up. That is what I am trying to achieve. But at a fraction of the cost. Nice install, JSG.
Thanks. But I'm still a cheap bastard, and there's only around $70.00 worth of fittings (freight included) there.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290217|2290219&id=2097020

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290217|2290219&id=2096974

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290217|2290219&id=2089396

I re-purposed my old spreaders as supports, cut to 3 different lengths to orient, and built my own rail clamps from stuff I had lying around.

Since your panel seems larger, you might want to think about beefing up the panel's framing with some aluminum angle stock?

I may still find that to be necessary on my set-up. We'll see very soon. :dance:

A fun and worthwhile project.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks for the links, JSM. When my mini cruise is done, I want to do a better install. But for now, I think it will hold up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.