Finally giving it up

May 3, 2009
H Cherubini 37 Madisonville, La., Pontchartrain
To all the 37C owners on this forum. After many years of owning my '79 cutter and many years of restoring her I now have to give her up. The arthritis in my hands and hip are just too much to handle. All the love put into this boat over the years was in anticipation to my retirement and the many trips that were planned. Now it just can't be. I really enjoyed this forum and the knowledge I gleaned from the many old salts here are represented in my boat.
Whelton Marine Brokerage in Mandeville, La. now has it for sale. Hoping it goes to somebody who can appreciate the quality and thought Mr. Cherubini put into the design of this #10 hull. I learned a lot here and will definitely miss it. Here's to wind in your sails and fair skies. Wally Rivett

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Wally,
Very sad to hear this. Thanks for all you contributed to this forum. Someone is going to get a great boat. She looks great in the broker's pictures - you did a fantastic restoration.

I hope your retirement will bring you joy in other ways.

Fair winds!
Jim

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Wally, thanks for all you've contributed here. Please come back and check in from time to time.

May 3, 2009
Thanks Phil and Jim, Labors of love aren't work. You guys have been a greater help than you can ever know. I'll still probably go by the marina every now and then just to keep my hand in. Don't know how that'll work out though never having been without a boat.
Keep up the good work you guys do. Plenty of novices out there that don't know what they don't know.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
All the love put into this boat over the years was in anticipation to my retirement and the many trips that were planned. Now it just can't be.
Really sorry to hear that. Work always seems to have a way of cutting into retirement.

Perhaps you can move up in size to a cruise ship and let someone else do the work.

My hopes for your happy retirement, in whatever you may do.

May 3, 2009
Thanks Ralph and Justsomeguy,
Fair winds and luck to you both.
Wally

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Best to ya, Wally!.. I am in Mandeville sometimes during the week.. maybe we could sip a coffee or something in the cockpit ?

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello Wally

I am sorry to hear your giving it up, but I understand ... you have helped me a few times from your articles and responses on here.... I am planning on moving down to Tampa, and if your ever down that way, stop on by.... we will have a drink, sit on deck and watch the sun set together and reminisse.... maybe even go sailing together, if your up to it.... you will always have an open invitation to stop on by.... my wife and I will be living on our 45ft Dufour sailboat, and I will have my 1967 Kittiwake 23ft sailboat for daysailing....

Sincerely
Jess

Sep 12, 2011
Hunter 27 Annapolis
Congratulations on years of boat ownership and sailing excursions. Painful to see anyone leave the sport. Best wishes and send us life updates.

May 3, 2009
Kloudie,
I'll be down at DeZaire Marina in Madisonville doing a last sail and clean up if you want to stop by and have a beer or whatever. Slip#29 Wally

May 3, 2009
Trainmanjess & pvtpotter

Thanks for the kind remarks. It's guys like you all that will help to keep this forum going . Just remember why you got into sailing when you are helping the new fella figure out how / why / what. They will remember. I know I did.....Wally

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Rivettw

I hear you. I am (most probably) facing the same thing. Sad to say, the highest likelihood is that Diana and I will never go sailing together.

Best of luck in all your endeavors! :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My f-i-l said "Gettin' old ain't for sissies."

I didn't know we had that many parts.

All the best to you, don't be a starnger here, 'cuz like you said, a lot of what you/we know we learned (and are continuing to learn) right here.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Congratulations on years of boat ownership and sailing excursions. Painful to see anyone leave the sport. Best wishes and send us life updates.

As we entered we thought of sailing as a sport. We have since discovered it to be more of a lifestyle. I feel sad for you that you have to give it up. I don't look forward to the day it comes for us.

Fair winds.

May 2, 2011
Hunter 37 C Long Pond, NL
I can't imagine what it's like to give up sailing such a beautiful boat. I just had a look at e pictures posted on the brokers site. I am in the middle of a refit of Slainte and I can only hope her refit bring her somewhere close to Fantome. If you don't mind I would like to ask a question about Fantome. She has a door on the end of the galley cabinets below the sink. What is this door for?
Thanks and all the best for the future.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
To all the 37C owners on this forum. After many years of owning my '79 cutter and many years of restoring her I now have to give her up. The arthritis in my hands and hip are just too much to handle. All the love put into this boat over the years was in anticipation to my retirement and the many trips that were planned. Now it just can't be. I really enjoyed this forum and the knowledge I gleaned from the many old salts here are represented in my boat. Whelton Marine Brokerage in Mandeville, La. now has it for sale. Hoping it goes to somebody who can appreciate the quality and thought Mr. Cherubini put into the design of this #10 hull. I learned a lot here and will definitely miss it. Here's to wind in your sails and fair skies. Wally Rivett
74, still hanging on to # 36. All the best to ya Rivett!

May 3, 2009
Garbage can access hinged at the bottom and tilts outward.