Final fuel tank installment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Schenck

You hope! Wednesday I rerouted the fuel tank vent hose by simply holding it off the bottom with heavy nylon ties. You could also increase the size of the loop at the top and achieve the same result(look up under the coaming). This will keep fuel from sitting in the low spot and clogging the vent. Then I put in 5 gallons of new diesel. I was glad to see that the tank gauge measured about 1/8th of a tank, pretty accurate. My fuel line from the shutoff valve to that first "can" looked new. I call it a "can" because I cannot get it apart and do not know what it is. I can bleed it from the bottom which I did. The small hose on the outlet side goes to the Racor filter. I detached that hose from the Racor. My oil extraction pump has one tube that fits perfectly into that hose. When I pumped there was some black stuff that when through the tube then it was clear. I pumped about 6 quarts into the container. Then I let half a cup out the bottom of the Racor and saw no water. Finally I replaced the filter inserts in both the Racor and the small filter next to the injectors. I'll bleed the air out after it is in the water. And we both hope there are no more fuel related stories. At least this season. :)

C

Cecil

My Two Cents Worth

Hi Ed,Read your post,couple of things come to mind.(1)The "can" I suspect is a water/sludge separator,(settles out by gravity)drained from the bottom.(2)Check the hoses you mentioned for "internal" deterioration.Last, consider/check on adding can of "diesel fuel conditioner" to the tank. Thanks for the help in the past on my posts. Cecil

E

Ed Schenck

Good ideas.

Thanx Cecil. I do use fuel additives including a biocide. I think I will just replace the hoses for peace of mind. They are getting a little "crisp" where they clamp on. I meant to check my Yanmar manual this weekend but forgot. I think it has that "can" explained. But you are probably right, just wish I could get inside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.