Final Engine Check.... 2000 H380, Questions - Transmission.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Well in the last week or so have had mechanic again check out the engine. Engine 500 hours.. 36-40Hp, Yanmar 3jh3-e with a Transmission… Model #KM3P. 2.51:1 ratio 15-40 wt oil for both. ( M in Transmission denotes Oil, not transmission fluid) New stainless elbow mixer and flange with new heat shield added.

Yes the mechanic checked out oil levels and etc... but I have learned a second look/opinion is a good idea..... and I will be making such inspections on the trip at every leg. When I get back home to Cape Coral, idiot warning lights and beeper (new ordered), get oil pressure and temp gauges added at Pedestal....

The transmission does not appear to have a dip stick for determining the level of oil. Opening up the oil adding cap for transmission( Note cap is yellow with Oil written on it on STBD side of engine, second oil cap on engine top, slightly to port, also yellow for crank case), inspection shows oil on the gears, but no oil level is observed. Of course I have not started the engine in 2 days, oil as likely drained lower....

Questions: Am I correct, no dip stick for transmission? Should the transmission level be visible at rest or should I add some oil, until the level can be seen... How do you determine proper oil level for transmission?

Regards,

Viper

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Woof.. Viper, the transmission should have a dipstick in it.. the bad news is that failure of the stick is common.. and the new stick is outrageously expensive..(around $100) .. The yellow cap you see on the top of the trans case should have a dipstick in its bottom.. The oil level in the transmission is usually pretty low on the stick (when checked per manual, without screwing the cap in) .. The level is kind of critical since they are splash lubricated, and too much oil will overheat because of all the thrashing.. and throw oil out everywhere.. .. https://www.google.com/search?q=KM3P+Kanzaki&ie=&oe=#q=KM3P+Kanzaki+oil+level&spf=1500392056965
Stu and the Catalina folks may have some help for this one.. One way to handle it would be to precisely measure a friend's dip stick (uuuhhhh kinda personal?) and fab one, preserving the vent hole..
Now ya have to wonder if the stick is still in the box waiting to ruin a bearing or gear or clutch.. A person with a good light could probably see it or someone with a little "protoscope" might be able to see if it is in there ..
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html
I have a KM2 so can't offer measurements.. The volume of oil in the KM3P gearbox is surprisingly small, 350 cc according to the manual. That is 11.8 liquid ounces, about a cup and a half of oil.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Viper, ask LeslieTroyer to share his images and technique for gauges at his pedestal. He has taken gauges to a new level.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Kloudie.. well... the yellow cap is just an unvented oil cap, same as one on crank case.

Apparently the dip stick cap broke at some point and the PO replaced with this... Anyway beginning long trip tomorrow , no time to replace. and will have to hope for the best. Engine survey and engine work and no one caught this.... Getting anyone who can actually work on boats,, is almost a waste of time..... it ertainly is a waste of money... 11 months in rebuild,,

Of course if the simple cap was MFG'd correctly it would still be there. Prone to failure and no effort to correct by MFG.

A guy is selling one made of aluminum on one of the posting (80 bucks), guess I will try that.

Regards and thanks, another day /trip ruined.

Viper

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What happens to the dip stick is the plastic screw on part breaks apart and no longer can be used
and I am guessing the po just used some old type of cap.
Had it happen to me and need to be very careful screwing the dip stick back in.
Nick

viper

Jul 31, 2016
After reading posts all over the internet... this is a very common problem. However, operation of the transmission really requires a vented cap. During heavy operation pressure and heat build up, if not released/vented the trans seal will blow out, and If you use just a vented cap, oil will be spewed everywhere. It will take 2 days to get one here at considerable cost involving a 2 way ride on UBER. And I'm in Charleston, not Timbuctoo!

The guy who makes the aluminum cap, does not have the tube length for my specific model ("p"). so I ordered form a Yanmar dealer. However their distributer will not do direct shipping to a customer... So a $40 dollar part (S/B $5) has become a $140 dollar part and a day longer turn around... shame Yanmar. Bad design, bad logistics.

Same with Yanmar cast iron mixing elbow, planned failure, when cast 316 stainless will last forever and cost no more when purchased from a small business that makes the part out of cast stainless...

Regards,

Viper

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Can get a stainless Mixing Elbo on E-Bay and lots of my friends been getting them and I may get one next time for my 3YM