Fin Keel or Shoal - Stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Parks

I have a Catalina 30 with a fin keel. I am considering moving up to a 36 within the next year or so. Could someone discuss the relative differnces in stability and sailing characteristics (e.g., speed, pointing, etc.) between the 36 with the fin and with the shoal keels? Having had a lot experience with the 5'3" kin on my 30, I think I can live with the obvious disadvantages of sailing a fin in the shallow waters of the Chesapeake if there are significant advantages otherwise.

F

Fritz Merizon

Go deep!

Having sailed a wing keel C28, the decision to go with a 5'10" fin keel was a no brainer! The dealer hadn't delivered a fin keel in years. His rigger said it was the nicest(read fast, good pointing) sailing 36mkII he'd worked on. With water levels at historic lows on Lake Michigan, I'd still rather be more vigilant and enjoy the performance. Good luck!

C

Charlie

No brainer???

I sail a wing keel 28MKII on the east coast south of boston. And I don't believe that choosing a fin keel is a no brainer!I had a fin on my last boat and it served me well. When I was ready to purchase another boat I did some investigation into a wing or shoal draft. As for pointing and/or stability, think about, the Kiwi's took the Americas cup with a new keel design ie a wing keel. If your thinking about doing the Hobart race or Bermuda you MAY be slightly better off with a long fin keel. My boat weighs 10k lbs and 40% of the weight is in the keel. It make the boat vary stable and as long as all of the stays are adjusted correctly th e boat will point as good as most production boats. I race PHRF and find that the J boats seem to point a little better, but then my boat is a cruser, its wide and comfortable. I have also sailed on the chesapeake on a Catalina 34 tall rig in Sept. This boat has a 5' 10" draft and we go aground several times during a long weekend if we are going up into those little rivers. If I lived there I would not want a fin keel! Think about it charlie

F

Fred

Practical Sailor

Practical Sailor has an article in this months issue, ie Jan 2000 concerning deep draft keels. Basic statment is " that a longer keel will geerate more lift and make the boat more weatherly because of the length of the leading and trailing edges and not the total surface area."

F

Fred

Practical Sailor

Practical Sailor has an article in this months issue, ie Jan 2000 concerning deep draft keels. Basic statment is " that a longer keel will geerate more lift and make the boat more weatherly because of the length of the leading and trailing edges and not the total surface area."

Status
Not open for further replies.