Fin keel dimensions shoal vs standard

Sep 16, 2020
Catalina 30 MKII San Francisco
I'm looking at an 88 C30 where the owner really isn't a sailor or very knowledgeable about boats in general, even his own boat (been using it as a pied de terre of sorts.)

He is unsure of the keel, I am only interested in the standard 5'3" draft keel here in the San Francisco Bay. To muddy the waters worse, the previous survey done on the boat listed it as 3'10" draft shoal keel (which would have been the wing keel dimensions), but the pictures from the survey clearly show a fin keel, not the wing. Funny that the survey could be so off, but it is. However it still could be the 4'4" fin keel, the older version of the shallow keel or even the standard 5'3" draft fin keel that I desire.

I know in 88 the shoal draft was supposed to have moved over to the much shallower 3'10" wing keel in production... but like many things in boats, some things seem to get carried over a bit longer and its well within the realm of possibility that this is the old 4'4" version.

Does Catalina keep track of such things by hull number from their production, or is there an online resource to confirm such a thing if I have the full hull identification number?

I searched online and didn't see the specific fin keels lengths anywhere. I.e. length of the 4'4" draft keel from bottom of the keel to the hull joint, or the same dimension for the standard 5'3" draft keel.

If I had those dimensions, I could just have one of the bottom divers measure the keel to confirm and it would be much cheaper than having it hauled to figure it out. While it will be hauled for a survey eventually, I don't want to make the investment if it isn't what I am looking for. The shallow draft would be a deal killer for me.

Thanks in advance for any help in leading me to more information!

CJ

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
I believe the shoal draft version was offered only on the mark I ('72 thru '85). The mark II ( "86 - '91) came only in fin and wing keel versions. I'll let others correct me but if so, a quick dip with mask and snorkel should confirm wing or no wing as well as general condition of below the waterline. If you're not keen on taking a short swim in February and the marina has a bottom scrubber rig of some sort you should be able to ride down along the hull until the head hits either the wing or end of the fin.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Hey Capt.,

Over on the official IC30A forum we have many files posted (from Catalina and otherwise) that can be browsed, including the original C-30 brochures and order forms that list specifications.

Cheers,
Ken

PS can you post the pic?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You could also try calling Catalina Yachts Parts & Tech Support (aka customer service)... you must access it through their main switchboard 727 544-6681.

May 7, 2011
Note that the files on some/all C30s (housed in CA) were destroyed in a flood so individual hull number info is lacking.

To answer one question, there’s no way to know the configuration from the HIN.

Sep 16, 2020
Thanks for the input thus far. I may give Catalina a call tomorrow to see if they have any input and or dimensions of the two fin keels for when its hung for a survey. I've seen a number of 86,87, and even an 88 listed that should be a MKII according to conventional wisdom, yet still had the older MKI non T cockpits in them. That leads me to believe that while not likely or probable, it may still be possible for the older shorter 4'3" shoal draft fin keel to be installed on some of these transition year boats. Dunno, but like to pull together enough information to make a reasonable decision before shelling out money for the haul out and survey. In the San Francisco Bay Area that is not an insignificant amount of money.

Thanks again for the information, advice, and input thus far.

Sep 16, 2020
One picture is worth a thousand suppositions.
Agree, unfortunately I do not have a picture of the hull when hung for the previous survey, nor does the broker have an electronic version of it. The old printed version of the survey, which I have only seen and do not possess, includes a small 1x1 photo taken at angle from the port bow. I could clearly see its not a wing keel but a fin keel... not much more. Tough to decern from such a small picture and from the angle it was taken, a potential 11" difference in fin keels.

Am I missing an obvious tell between the two fin keels?

May 7, 2011
Well if it defo wasn’t a wing you should certainly see the difference if it was the old, stubby shoal keel.

A survey and accuracy don’t necessarily hand in hand from my experience. The last CTY survey might have been a shoal, and well, you know....