Filters on holding tank vents

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Sep 10, 2012
Catalina 30 MkI Whitby
I read that a boat owner had installed an in line charcoal filter to help manage vent odors. I can't find the article now.

Is there a cheap and easy way, and will it help to install such a filter?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Defender

I have added a inline filter on my holding tank vent,just cut the hose some place middle way in the hose going from the tank to the vent and has helped with any odor coming out of my stern vent and has eliminated any odor at all from the vent when some one uses the head,defender has a whole bunch of different sizes vent installations.
Nick

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Jay:

Bad idea! When you "over fill" your tank that filter will plug up.

If your Catalina has a vent through the stanchion I suggest you install a thru hull fitting to get more air into your tank. We have found that Odorlos is effective to keep odor at a minimum.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Cat:

Very nice installation, but I doubt that most mono hulls have the room for such an installation.

Catalina's are notoious for this problem (vent through a stanchion). It is much easier to use a short run with a traditional thru hull vent.

We had a screen in our vent that I removed and life was much better. The cost of Odorlos when it is purchased in the bulk container (6 lbs) equates to something like$.50 per scoop. It not only help with the ordor, but also helps break down the waste. Even if you have an inline filter I would think you would still use some chemicals.

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
Cat:

Very nice installation, but I doubt that most mono hulls have the room for such an installation.

Catalina's are notoious for this problem (vent through a stanchion). It is much easier to use a short run with a traditional thru hull vent.

We had a screen in our vent that I removed and life was much better. The cost of Odorlos when it is purchased in the bulk container (6 lbs) equates to something like$.50 per scoop. It not only help with the ordor, but also helps break down the waste. Even if you have an inline filter I would think you would still use some chemicals.
1. Yup, installation in many boats would be difficult, which why I always caution that leaving it off is better than doing it poorly.

2. Really, I installed it because the vent location was terrible, right up wind of the cabin windows. For most folks a good chemical (Oderlos is good) will do fine. In my case, even that was not enough. The filter works perfectly.

3. In my case I use chemical in form of a bowl cleaner. There are many holding tank treatments that diluted make a very low cost cleaner. And there are some holding tank chemicals that should never be used this way (anything with disinfecting chemistry or live culture). http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2012/07/something-free-something-lazy.html

Apr 11, 2005
Bayfield 36 Rock Creek
I use an in-line charcoal filter just before the stern vent and find that it completely eliminates the smells. It is true that you don't want to overfill your tank but you don't want it running out the back either? If you do, you will need to replace your filter. So make sure you pump-out before too long! We have ours installed in the locker at the transom, just buy the filter with correct size fittings for your hose, cut the hose and install. Very easy.

Happy smells,

Tod

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
I built 1 about 3 years ago...solves the problem. If you are careless and overfil the holding tank, just pull the vent, dump out the carbon and refill. I charge lasts a long time. Unit I built from pvc is approx 12" long and 1 1/2" wide to filt 5/8 & 3/4 vent line. I havfe a few extras I built for sale $35.00. Otherwise find Good old Boat Mag from Sept 2011. Its outlined in there. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.