Fiberglassing keel 'n hull joint

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger

What a site! Thanks to all who have added to my knowledge! Now: Any experience to pass on re fibre-glassing the connecting joint between the castiron keel and the fibreglass hull? Just how 'shiney'does the iron need to be? Can small rust spots--nail-head-size--not too close together, be bridged with the resin and lay-up? How many layers of what materials? How far down the keel? Fairing detail? Rust spots on the rest of the keel: What primer will work under the Interlux Fibreglass Bottomcoat, i intend to paint the complete underside with? Is 'mineral spirits' OK for dust removal? Any, and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Roger

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Use unidirectional fiberglass

and wrap all the way around. Two layers minimum. Treat rust with Ospho(Hamilton Marine)then it will be iron phosphate instead of iron oxide. Use acetone for cleaningand degreasing before the glass work. If you can stay with the job long enough an epoxy barrier coat will serve as a good primer but it must be top coated within a few hours. Follow the instructions on the label.

R

Roger

Questions

Ross, thanks! VERY helpful! Couple of questions: "epoxy barrier coat"?? Is that applied over the final fibreglass work: 'putty', sanding, fairing etc? And, under the first coat of 'bottom paint'? "Top coat"?? Is that the bottom coat 'paint' that i'll use on the completed job?? Just to be sure :) Roger

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Yes, yes and yes

the epoxy barrier coat is just insurance for the work underneath. The bottom paint goes on within a relatively short time after the last coat of barrier. edit to add; I didn't make clear, the unidirectional cloth goes on with the strong direction vertical and should lap about six inches above the joint. be sure to grind off the gelcoat where the new glass goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.