fiberglass repair in NJ

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
the marina where my boat is up on the hard is in need of some fibreglass repair, mostly gelcoat. the marina is a full service and doesn't allow outside contractors. however, they've been unable to secure someone to come onsite and do the repairs. since there are now 2-3 boats waiting (aka hostages) for repair and with the threat of people leaving, the marina relented and said we could hire outside people (as long as their insured).

so my question is, can anyone recommend someone in NJ that does fibreglass boat repair? the boats in question are in barnegat. i'm going to start calling around tomorrow, but i'm hopeful i can get some recommendations to narrow the list.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm guessing you're in Mariners Marina? If not, they may be able to help you but almost all marine services seem to be booked or cannot get parts.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
what is the depth of the repair? gelcoat or serious structural fiberglass repair?

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
I'm guessing you're in Mariners Marina? If not, they may be able to help you but almost all marine services seem to be booked or cannot get parts.
yup. i've been waiting well over a year now. i understand the slow down with covid, but this is getting silly. apparently the one or two guys Rich normally used flaked out and have been giving him the run around. (heard 2nd hand, so take it with a grain of salt)

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
what is the depth of the repair? gelcoat or serious structural fiberglass repair?
for me, there are a couple of holes in the anchor locker and where the bow roller sits that need need to be patched. they're small. i'm not even sure how the one under the bow roller happened, seems like perhaps a factory flaw. but otherwise it's mostly gelcoat work around a new stemhead and rubrail areas.

there are other boats in the yard that need repairs, but i don't know them or the extents.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
If you decide to tackle it yourself I have bought gelcoat from a place in your area. I believe it’s called Barnegat Light Fiberglass supply. If you can remove a area and take it to them, maybe your anchor locker cover they can match the color.

I would hate to lose a season waiting for someone to make a repair. The nice thing about fiberglass repair is that if your repair is ugly it can always be sanded down and repaired by a professional at a later time.

Jul 7, 2013
Catalina 34 856 hamilton
If you decide to tackle it yourself I have bought gelcoat from a place in your area. I believe it’s called Barnegat Light Fiberglass supply. If you can remove a area and take it to them, maybe your anchor locker cover they can match the color.
while i'm not great at fiberglass, i'm definitely not good with gelcoat. this is one repair i'm not willing to tackle on my own, i know my limits. i also don't want to muck around with my stemhead/rubrail more then once.

i reached out to a few places, sadly no luck so far. a few places can fix it, but aren't mobile operations. most likely i'll be on plan B soon, i'm probably looking at trucking it somewhere.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I understand how hard it is to find marine gelcoat contractor. It is even difficuelt to do so in the San Francisco Bay area. I found marine gelcoat contractors on Craigslist. In addition, do an internet search on "Mobile Gelcoat Repair Near Barnegat, New Jersey" and you will find a number of contractors like:

Boat repair,boat services Mobile Boat Repair, Marine Repair, Engine, Fiberglass | Bayville, NJ (joesmobilemarine.net)

Z Mobile Marine Services PO Box 1006, Forked River, NJ 08731 - YP.com (yellowpages.com)