Few photos from the North Channel in August

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
So I'm curious about the blue "screens" (for lack of a better word) that you have tied up around your stanchions. Are they for privacy? It seems that they would add a lot of windage. Do they?
Additional sail area on a beam reach.:D They are mostly a windbreak with the nice benefit of additional privacy. We like sun showers in the cockpit. On Superior the water is always quite cold so the breeze can be a bit cooler too. They make the cockpit much more comfy...it's just nice to have a place to get out of the wind. On this trip to the North Channel we had a break from the hot summer and had a little cool spell so we used them. If it had stayed hot we may not have put them up. They really came in handy on the cool, cloudy, blustery day we sailed to the Benjamins.
Windage...I am sure there is some but it seems hard to quantify. It's never caused a problem that I could tell.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
srust58;1064034 On Superior the water is always quite cold so the breeze can be a bit cooler too…..On this trip to the North Channel we had a break from the hot summer [/QUOTE said:
How cold is the water? Or how is hot is the weather? With all that gorgeous clear water I would need to swim. There's nowhere to swim and cool off? Pools? Anywhere?

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
How cold is the water? Or how is hot is the weather? With all that gorgeous clear water I would need to swim. There's nowhere to swim and cool off? Pools? Anywhere?
Water in the open lake will be in the 50-55 degrees but you can find many areas that will be warmer in the Apostle Islands. Most of these islands have a sand beach were the shallow surface water may at times be up to 70. The beautiful Presque Isle Bay on Stockton Island is probably the best spot...shallow, sandy, and not exposed to the open lake. Generally mid August through September is when the water is the warmest. Sand beaches on the north shore are not quite as common but there is a nice one at Tee Harbor, a couple of them in the Slates, a few other places. What the north shore does have are several saunas, built by the locals in some well known anchorages, fired by wood and open to all to use. Thompson Island is the best known and quite popular. This is a deep bay with no anchoring so everyone rafts up at the dock...sometimes 5 deep. The water here is frigid so it's quite the shock coming out of the sauna and jumping off the dock.
Even in the best of times the water will be colder than most people are used to but tolerable for short swims. Stay in the shallows but don't think you can swim across the bay or cove. For the guys I can guarantee there will be "significant shrinkage".:D
Air temps can be anywhere from 50 to 80...90's are rare but do happen. You can count on a lot of 70's in the summer. The last time we were on the north shore we had a two week stretch of 70's-80 and southerly winds...nicest I have ever had up there. A few years previously in the same area at the same time we had a week of 50-60 and fog. I remember one Memorial Day weekend there was still ice floating around in the Apostles.:D

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks. Sounds great. I consider 60 and above swimmable - even with the aforementioned side effect. If you have achy joints, a swim in water that temperature will make you feel like you're thirty years old again.
I should go up there and see for myself about the swimming, the lake, the wilderness and the beasts.

Jul 17, 2012
Hunter 36 AuGres MI
Lee curtians

First off, great pic's. Lots of memories brought back. Been thru the Channel many times, going in at Tobermory and coming out thru the Mississagi Straits. Tying up to rocks and trees, brings out the adventurer in anyone that's been there.
My first boat, a 27ft Catalina didn't have an on board shower. We'd take the dink and look for a small gathering of rocks with a pool of water. During the day the sun and rocks heated the water. Those little pools were like a hot tubs.

Lee curtains are popular in Europe. Saw them on many boats while in Europe. When I came home I had some made. I used snap shackles. Easy to take down. Great to knock down that cool breeze in the evening.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It is raining here today so.... I have to use my imagination....and your photos got me curious.... what charts would I need if planning such a trip? And where would you recommend putting in? And how would a Yank get a visa for such a trip?

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
It is raining here today so.... I have to use my imagination....and your photos got me curious.... what charts would I need if planning such a trip? And where would you recommend putting in? And how would a Yank get a visa for such a trip?

http://www.waypoints.com/tradcharts/can3superior.html

Traditional paper charts here. You may need 4 or 5 depending on where you go...for the Apostles all you need is one. The cost of 5 charts is approaching the cost of the Richardson chart book for the whole lake..somewhere around $110 I think. That's what I use though mine is quite a bit older, I remember paying $42 for mine. Have the Richardson book for Huron too. Electronic charts I have no idea as I don't use them. Navigation is dead simple in the Apostles as there are few hazards. Same on the north shore...the water is deep...some shoals, rocks, and hazards but not like Georgian Bay and the North Channel in Lake Huron.

No visa required though you do need your passport and if trailering you will pass through customs like anyone else arriving by car. In theory you can ask for a form stating your entry in case you would get checked out on the water. That said I have never been asked or approached to show such a form. If arriving by water one has to sail into Thunder Bay to check in or Sault Ste Marie if one comes from the east. It's been 12 years since I sailed across the border so maybe this can be done by phone or computer now. Not sure?

Thunder Bay has a really nice marina and is the usual launch point but we usually use Rossport for haul out and catch the bus. For the Apostle you have several marinas to chose from we always use Red Cliff Campground/Marina as it's closest to the islands. It's on the Red Cliff Indian Res, rustic and nothing fancy but we have never had any problems. We don't spend any time in marinas so to us it's just a launch point, the closer the better. I would not use any marinas further south than Bayfield. They aren't bad, it's just they are further from the islands.

In Lake Huron we put in at either Spanish or Little Current. Spanish is a good choice if you are going to do the North Channel. Little Current separates the North Channel and Georgian Bay so you can do a little of both or just go east to Georgian Bay. The Richardson book is great for this area with lots of small scale details that are really needed in this area. Or just get the electronic charts if you have the plotter. This is one area where you have to know where you are at at all times and pay close attention to navigation.

There is an operators license requirement but it does not apply to non-residents spending less that 45 days in Canadian waters.

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks srust. I've copied all that to a word document and put it in my planning folder. My goal for this coming summer is to sail around the DelMarVa peninsula (Virginia Eastern Shore) to a small island called Chincoteague. It has been on my list for a few seasons now... But I'll put North Shore on my list for when I get a chance to take a longer trip. Right now, life is still getting in the way :)

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Thanks srust. I've copied all that to a word document and put it in my planning folder. My goal for this coming summer is to sail around the DelMarVa peninsula (Virginia Eastern Shore) to a small island called Chincoteague. It has been on my list for a few seasons now... But I'll put North Shore on my list for when I get a chance to take a longer trip. Right now, life is still getting in the way :)
We were considering sailing around Chincoteague/Assateague but ran out of "planning time". I will be looking forward to reading about your experiences next summer. When I started looking at maps of the area it looks like a lot of shallow water, unless you stay on the ocean side?

Chris

Jan 19, 2010
We were considering sailing around Chincoteague/Assateague but ran out of "planning time". I will be looking forward to reading about your experiences next summer. When I started looking at maps of the area it looks like a lot of shallow water, unless you stay on the ocean side?

Chris
Yes there is a lot of shallow water. I'm guessing that is why the Atlantic side of DelMarVa is mostly undeveloped. But I have a swing keel so I can raise it some as needed. My hold up right now is the locking mechanism on the swing keel. A previous owner removed it after a repairs made to the keel trunk. I don't want to go ocean side with a swinging keel. So I'm still figuring out how to retrofit a locking mechanism. The Balboa is a bit different than the Mac's I've owned so there are some technical challenges...

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
There is an operators license requirement but it does not apply to non-residents spending less that 45 days in Canadian waters.
There seems to be a lot of confusion about these requirements, but the way I read it when checking into it for a trip to Canada this year, Canada requires everyone using VHF to have a restricted operator's permit whether they are Canadian or US. US citizens can use the US version available from the FCC.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm#7

Canada does not require a station license for Canadians. The US does not require a station license for it's citizens. But...US citizens traveling out of the US, are required by the US to have a station license. I believe the same applies to Canadians traveling out of Canada. To further muddy the waters, if your radio can use MMSI, you are supposed to get your MMSI # from the FCC (which requires a station license) if you travel out of the US. For travel only within the US, you can get the MMSI # from a place like Boat US, and don't need a station license.

What a bunch of red tape and fees! In reality, I doubt anyone cares or enforces this. The MMSI # might be something worth checking into, though if you think you might need it in an emergency.

BTW, great pics. Those blueberries look delicious.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Nice boat!!
Your pictures are great.
Going up in August like you do, is less busy. I have a freind who goes up in August for that very reason. He has the place to himself!!
Love the berries!
Here's my crew:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Whitson/NC09/IMG_1918.jpg

Here's my token anchorage picture:D, one of my favourites, MacTavish
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/Whitson/NC09/IMG_1961.jpg
Your boat looks to be in very nice shape. We always went the last 2 weeks of July but now I think August is the right way to go. Next time we will launch in Little Current and go east to Beaverstone Bay, Bad River, and the Bustards.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Really enjoyed your photos. Another cruise on our bucket list for when we retire. Just wondering how you handled the anti-porta-potty law in Ontario?

Thanks, and wouls love to see more photos,

Don

Mar 15, 2012
I'm not letting Nancy see this post.:)

Every time she sees pics of the NC she wants me to buy another boat.

Great trip report. We have anchored in most of the anchorages in your pics. The pics with the rocks showing the water levels was dramatic.

Our first trip there was in 98 when we were rookies w/o a clue. Brought us back time after time.

Thanks for taking the time to let us travel with you.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Loved the pics. We were there at the end of June. If you want solitude and away from people that is the time to go. We were lucky to see 3 or 4 other boats a day. All the anchorages we had to ourselves. Although the water is freezing cold the days were very hot. We launched out of Little Current and sailed to the South Benjamins and then back through Little Current to Kilarney.
In all we sailed 140NM in our 7 days there.
We just decided to go back next year as we like the solitude there. It was a tossup between there and Lake Champlain. Next year we will launch out of Spanish.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Loved the pics. We were there at the end of June. If you want solitude and away from people that is the time to go. We were lucky to see 3 or 4 other boats a day. All the anchorages we had to ourselves. Although the water is freezing cold the days were very hot. We launched out of Little Current and sailed to the South Benjamins and then back through Little Current to Kilarney.
In all we sailed 140NM in our 7 days there.
We just decided to go back next year as we like the solitude there. It was a tossup between there and Lake Champlain. Next year we will launch out of Spanish.
In the past we had always gone the last two weeks of July into the first week of August. This was prime blueberry season but also the most busy but with our small boats we could always get away from the crowd. Launching in Spanish will give you good access to the Whalesback Channel all the way out to Long Point Cove...very nice and as far west as you need to go. Put McCleary Cove on the list too and with your small boat you can get in there and have a good chance to have it to yourselves. I was really happy with mid August on this last trip...little to no bugs and we were able to sit out at night...I hate being cooped up in the boat after 9pm. I don't think I will go any other time from now on. Good swimming temps and still berries to be picked. This photo is from 1986 when the water was high. Small cove on the north side of Parson's Island in the Whalesback. We stopped in this trip and it was half the size and adequate for a lunch stop. Comparing it with more old photos I had the change was dramatic as we had two boats in there overnite back then.

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
Here are some shots of Bad River in Georgian Bay from the 1992. Excuse the bad composite shot and envision the second one together with the first. The yellow arrow points to a mast where we are anchored behind the island in the third photo. This place will always have a crowd but as you can see with a little adventurous spirit you can avoid the crowd. We had a south breeze and our two boats sailed all the way into the anchorage and then right through the little channel and rounded up behind the island and threw the anchors out.:)

Jan 14, 2014
Compac Suncat Cedarville, MI
The North Channel is in Lake Huron at the top in Ontario between the mainland and Manitoulin Island, largest freshwater island in the world. Area is famous for incredible beauty and great sailing/cruising.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
The North Channel is in Lake Huron at the top in Ontario between the mainland and Manitoulin Island, largest freshwater island in the world. Area is famous for incredible beauty and great sailing/cruising.
You got it on the button.
Wish I was there. (And it was summer now.)