Ferrules on shore power wires with SmartPlug?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’m replacing a Hubble shore power connector with a SmartPlug. Beneteau crimped a ferrule on the end of each wire where they go into the back of the socket. I presume they are there to help keep the strands of wire together when inserting in the back of the socket. Should I leave the ferrules there, or remove and re-strip. My only concern is whether the contact surface between the ferrule and the SmartPlug is good enough, or would the wire strands provide better contact?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
David. Not knowing what the ferrule looks like or the conditions of the wires. I would be inclined to start fresh, cut back to clean wire and strip to the correct length. This assumes you have enough wire to work with.

May 17, 2004
Here’s the best pic I have. See the end of the purple wire -
94EFCA13-9BC5-4550-8314-0F721D28E934.jpeg

The wire and ferrule all seems to be in good shape and clean. There’s just enough wire to redo it, but but the wire wouldn’t be long enough to run along the hull as neatly as it does now.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the wire is good, and the insulation is not cracked or worn I'd be inclined to see about removing the ferrule. It looks more like brass than copper. But that is just me. Preserve the wire length.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
The SmartPlug has a pressure plate under the screw, so you should be good with bare strands. Bare strands provide more contact area than ferrules, which lowers resistance and heat. The caveat is that the terminal needs to incorporate a pressure plate.

Personally, I like ferrules because they make for a neater installation and are easier to re-install if needed, but I limit them to small gauge wire.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Great choice on the Smart Plug. :dancing: Not only do the ferrules hold the strands together, but in most plugs I've seen the screws that make the connection crush and separate the strands of the wire, so the ferrules give the screw something to push into that does not give. When I first switched over to a Smart Plug, the screw connections in the new plug were such that it would not crush and separate the strands when tightened. This makes the ferrules rather redundant. I'd remove the ferrules. (Not sure they would fit into the new plug holes anyway) From the picture you should be able to loosen them a bit and slid them off. At worst, just cut them off and restrip the wire, but it doesn't have to be back any farther than the end of the ferrules so you would not lose more than an inch or so. (Assuming the wire is in good condition and you can pull it out of the old plug.) Or, if you are like most sailors and money is no object, get a factory made Smart Plug cable.
:beer:

May 17, 2004
Thanks all for the input. I’ll probably do the socket install later this week. I’ll look at how the ferrules will fit and line up with the pressure plate in the SmartPlug, and make a decision then, but I’m leaning toward removing them. I retrofitted the shore cord end the other day and that went easily enough.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Leave the gun; take the cannoli. I mean, leave the ferrules, take the wires. Just remove them.

May 17, 2004
Here’s a new twist - Ferrules Prevent Connection Failures

Apparently ferrules are required by CE, which would explain why a French based boat manufacturer uses them. The article also suggests that the ferrules improve the strength and durability of the connection, in addition to reducing the chances of installation issues.