Feeling Badly About the State of Your Own Boat?

Oct 12, 2014
Catalina 30 St. Augustine
If you're feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work you need to do on your boat, check out the project I've taken on. You'll feel much better. 1979 Catalina 30. For the story, check out my blog:
http://mycatalina30.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/at-least-shes-watertight-december-2013-indiantown-fl/
When I got her, she had been sitting in a field, full of rainwater (3 or so feet?), for unknown years. Slowly, but surely, I've been cleaning her up. Starting to kinda look like a sailboat again.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I need to show my wife your blog. It will make her feel better about our project.

Great work on the boat and blog. Good info about the trailing company.

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
this is awesome. you definitely make me feel better about my project.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I sat down to take a quick look at your blog and wound up reading 12 entries!

It's amazing what you've done so far!

Best of luck with her,
Jim

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
Oh My!

I want to see the after picture of the cockpit!! I just paid $15 a foot to have the entire outside of the boat cleaned, de-oxidized and waxed last week. Top and bottom. I'm not ashamed to say I let someone else do it. You go girl!!

I did replace both axles and the entire brake system on the trailer this week by myself though. Does that count?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Glad to see you are young. I am one year into my renovation of my H30 and seeing your "before" pics gave me another sharp pain in my back :) I have mine in my backyard so been able to do work almost daily. I still haven't touched much on the outside except for new portlights and hatch lenses to get it water tight. I got hopefully another 6 months before ready. Good luck. I will be checking your blog every now and then.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

lambchop27, my hat is off to you... it is great to see someone revitalizing an older boat and bring it back to it's former glory.... like you, I found an older boat sitting on a farm abandoned... I have been working on it every chance I get.... I have been told that my boat looks like a new boat, or close to it....

I salute you both for such fine and hard work to make this boat your own... your blog is wonderful.... keep up the good work and post many more pictures for us to see

sincerely
Jess

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I admire you guys taking on a project boat like that. Its gutsy. But I have to warn you that I work as a professional building inspector, & I am in contact with black mold on a regular basis. It can make you REALLY SICK. Especially when working in such a confined space in a tight cabin like that. Bleach is the easiest & cheapest way to kill mold. But when mold gets ingrained into the cabin like that, its really hard to eradicate it. If you don't kill & remove all spores, it will just grow again, at an exponential rate. Remember that its also growing between the cabin sole & the hull, & is impossible to even reach many of these areas, as Catalina makes extensive use of fiberglass hull liners in its design.
Please wear a respirator when working in that cabin. It makes it harder to breathe when you get sweaty, but getting a lung infection & bronchitis from black mold is not fun.
As far as that marina, they are in the business to make money, & they make even more from people like you. That boat needs months, if not years of rehab to get her right again. If you are serious, then get her towed to the back yard of someone you know who lives near the water. But doesn't everyone live near the water in Florida? Good luck.
ps. If you figure the thousands of $$ you will have to spend on towing, hauling, refitting, new cabin bulkheads & cabinetry, wiring & plumbing & likely sail replacement, it may be cheaper to find a decent boat in better shape. Most people find out the hard way that a fixer upper is way more expensive in the long run, then a slightly tired boat that just needs minor repairs. I know a lot of fellas that spend all their time sanding & working on their projects, then sailing & enjoying their lives. Sadly a lot of these boats never even get completed, as the owner gives up in frustration, even before the maiden voyage. Life is short.

Sep 26, 2014
Don't listen to him. He's very discouraging. Keep working on it. Can't wait to see how she looks in the water.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
About the money thing, mehhhh.

If your willing do do the work and frugal you can get her going for less. Sure it will cost some but that is not the point, the point is making her your boat.

On my boat I paid the salvage price for the pB in the keel. When we final get underway in a few months ( after over a year of work) we will be in for about $12k or so. However she will have new rigging, a rebuilt motor with a new screw, new thru hulls, new mainsail, new electronics and wiring in addition to the fact we will know every inch of her.

We could have bought a $20k boat and still had tired rigging and a tired motor.

Your on the right track, I love the work you have soon on the interior and am jealous as it appears you have a real ships bell.

Sep 26, 2014
Some are just accustomed to buying instead of repairing. I for one would not have taken on such a project but a free boat is a free boat. Jrowan just likes to put it bluntly. My project boat is in much better shape than yours and he told me not to bother either.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Now that's a project. Wishing you the best and looking forward to pictures.

Jan 27, 2012
Catalina 30 Vashon
A free boat is never free as you've learned and as I did on a cal 34. But some time the boat is not what you need-- but a thing to up your energy and and interest into. In this boat or another, I hope you get to accomplish your real dream, to cruise.

Oct 12, 2014
Catalina 30 St. Augustine
Thanks for all of the comments, I really enjoy reading them. Kinda nice to know other people are rooting for me :), well, for the most part.
Yes, she is a project. My finances dictate that I am able to afford only a little at a time, so this is a perfect project for me. I jumped in with my eyes wide open. As The Garbone said, I'm making her my own. Slowly. Just like with my former boat, I will know EVERY inch of all of her systems. That's not such a bad thing. I have no issue with the work involved. One thing I will have to learn about is diesel engines - my knowledge is definitely lacking. I have changed the fuel filter on one before and EVERYONE tells me you must change the oil regularly. I understand the principle of igniting under pressure, as opposed to a gasoline engine. So I understand the importance of clean injectors. I have the theoretical knowledge, just not the real life experience with them. I have a feeling I will learn a lot in the coming years.
If anyone is interested, I posted some pics AFTER lots of pressure washing and bleaching and scrubbing. I no longer find her frightening to be inside.
http://mycatalina30.wordpress.com/2...leach-and-hard-work-can-accomplish-june-2014/
Also, I'm currently in VA, but Adam tells me that despite the fact that she's all closed up, there's no sign of any mold returning, ... so far anyway. It has been almost 3 months.