FCC: I Must Be Really Slow...

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I just spent an hour and forty five minutes on the FCC site(s) just renewing my ships radio license (I use the radio out of the USA). Phil, it's a lesson in website complication!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
:plus:

The FCC site is not the most user friendly site. Maybe by the time I need to renew my license it will be better.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Interesting, I only use it every 10 years to renew my Amateur Radio License. Piece of cake. Yet I have also heard other say they had no issues with ships' radio licenses. Wonder why the disparity? (rhetorical question)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Let us not forget, it is a government agency.:banghead:
The striking part of dealing with the FCC is how much more difficult it is than dealing with the USCG Documentation, DTOPS program for renewing our decals, and accessing Social Security information. Perhaps the FCC folks have been excessively exposed to electromagnetic radiation without wearing their tinfoil hats. Just sayin'. :eek:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I know, huh. USCG is SO easy comparatively. They probably use different consultants and designers. Or worse, do it internally.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Interesting, I only use it every 10 years to renew my Amateur Radio License. Piece of cake. Yet I have also heard other say they had no issues with ships' radio licenses. Wonder why the disparity? (rhetorical question)
Can hams just use their call sign while sailing in a different country, or do you have to have a separate license?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Depends on the reciprocity between the US and the other country. It also depends on your class of license. The US Extra class license is recognized by many countries, but the Advanced Class and below are not. Of course, while in international waters anything goes.

But to answer, no, we do not have carte blanche.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Yes, I don't use my ham radio in Mexico. It's a mess to get Mexican permit.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Can hams just use their call sign while sailing in a different country, or do you have to have a separate license?
When I circumnavigated in the '70s I usually got a no hassle reciprocal license from each country I visited. Whereas most hams collect comms with as many hams in other countries as they can, we collected reciprocal licenses.