Favorite Mods

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
One of the points Maine Sail has made regarding electronic stuff is to never buy it yourself and give to someone who will install it. It's like the syndrome in my earlier post, who takes overall responsibility if a failure occurs? Either have the installer buy it and "own" it, or DIY, which is always a LOT more fun and a great learning experience.

Hope the build is going well.

Jan 2, 2016
Beneteau 49 Little Creek, VA
You've got a great start on your own and others have already provided a lot of great input. I'd second most all of them (radar, bow thruster, sea water anchor washdown, helm anchor remote/switch, cabin fans, dc outlet near the helm, ss arch, etc.) and add a Filter Boss system (and if you have a second fuel tank, the ability to transfer fuel with the system) which I believe you are already planning to add.

May 7, 2014
Beneteau 390 Tiburon
have them put in LED lights where ever they can to save power when at anchor.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A full rub rail is needed to protect you from all the piles and fixed docks of the Chesapeake. But the Beneteau factory option is cheesy. Talk to Buster Phipps at Phipps Boat Works down at Herrington North. He is a 4th generation boat wright with a fine craftsman's eye. He has a gorgeous solution. Pricy, but you will wish you had one the first time you take gelcoat off the topsides of your new baby.

May 10, 2007
Beneteau 45 Annapolis
Lots of great suggestions here - thank you! I'm headed to Marion, SC to tour the factory and hopefully see the boat in production on Tuesday.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Go with the higher volume water heater and higher output engine. With family onboard, you can't have enough hot water. Higher hp engine should be more reliable in the long run due to less stress, given all other factors are equal.

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had a wish list and so did the original owner 10+ years ago. My super stereo system with speakers (4 well placed speakers) has a CD Player for music.:confused:
The world is moving fast for pleasure electronics/TV etc. Wireless is now prevalent.
Comfort for you sailing style.
Radar for you sailing safety. I thought at first this as over blown, but radar (at military level of 10 yrs ago) is almost 3D today.

iPad for repeater stations is dual purpose.
Jim...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm headed to Marion, SC to tour the factory and hopefully see the boat in production on Tuesday.
It seems the hardest thing to replace is the decal/name plates. I'd try to get them while you are there, and save for future use.

Jun 6, 2012
Beneteau 473 CT
Sound! Our 473 came with the cheesiest system I ever heard. Sounded like a 1942 AM radio. Our upgraded sound system is amazing and you should make sure yours is too. After all, why do we go through the water without engines? Very important to have full control from the cockpit as well as down below. Congrats on the new boat!

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
AIS so you can better see them, AIS B if you have more budget so they can better see you. Remote mic for the VHF in the cockpit so you can be heard, much better than a handheld.

Aug 4, 2015
Oceanis 45 Chicago, Montrose Harbor
Production of my Oceanis 45 is scheduled to start very soon in Marion, SC. I'm having the dealer add some features but I'm wondering what I'm missing. I'm adding a washdown system at the bow, cabin fans, battery monitoring system, fresh water head flushing, galvanic isolator, 12 volt outlets, and a hand rail along main salon ceiling. What are some of your favorite additions you have made to your Beneteau that I should consider adding?
I made a modification to my Oceanis 45 (Adattare), adding drain hoses from the cockpit table coolers, running out to to the life raft storage area by the transom. Now when I entertain, the floor is not wet with ice melt!

May 27, 2015
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Havre de Grace MD
I made a modification to my Oceanis 45 (Adattare), adding drain hoses from the cockpit table coolers, running out to to the life raft storage area by the transom. Now when I entertain, the floor is not wet with ice melt!
I like that idea.
How did you run the hoses to the life raft storage area?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="...adding drain hoses from the cockpit table coolers, running out to to the life raft storage area by the transom. Now when I entertain, the floor is not wet with ice melt![/QUOTE]

Amen, Joe. In Feb I had a moorings Beneteau 41.1, and the melted water was all over the cockpit floor.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Those cockpit table tubs are not coolers, they have no insulation whatsoever. I'm pretty sure they were designed to hold the Beaujolais and a couple of wine cups! On our boat they hold a bottle of deck cleaner, a brush and rag. We lash a soft cooler to the sugar scoop for cold beverages where it drains direct to the water.