Favored side of the race course

May 18, 2009
oday 28 GA
Well, I got 3 bullets this weekend. Joe, that book you recommended is great, still reading it. But great info. Don's book and charts stay with me, and I bring them on the boat for quick reference. We had a good steady wind about 10 knts. I decided not to do anything fancy, just a midline start at full speed. Clean air makes a big difference. Don, I adjusted everything I could to keep me moving fast. The cool thing was, is that I knew what I was adjusting an why. Now, I just need to learn tactics.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, I got 3 bullets this weekend. Joe, that book you recommended is great, still reading it. But great info. Don's book and charts stay with me, and I bring them on the boat for quick reference. We had a good steady wind about 10 knts. I decided not to do anything fancy, just a midline start at full speed. Clean air makes a big difference. Don, I adjusted everything I could to keep me moving fast. The cool thing was, is that I knew what I was adjusting an why. Now, I just need to learn tactics.
Well done. There is an old saying in sailboat racing: 'Boatspeed turns you into a tactical genus'.

Always always always, SAIL FAST.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Well done. There is an old saying in sailboat racing: 'Boatspeed turns you into a tactical genus'.

Always always always, SAIL FAST.
I'm with Jackdaw. The best tactic is to start first and stay there.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Oday630: It's a great feeling isn't it when you know WHY you're adjusting something!!! The WHY of sail trim is everything, otherwise a mate is just guessing.

I was talking to a Texas sailor yesterday and he told me he was embarrassed in front of his sailing friends to have to look at a chart to determine what adjustments he had to make to his main and jib for a particular point of sail and wind condition. I asked him if he had the TV on and tuned to a football game? He said he did and I asked him what the coach had in his hand? Case closed!! The nice thing about the SAIL TRIM CHART is that after a while you don't need it anymore. You can give it to one of your friends --- but NOT someone you race against!!