Fastest Trailer Sailor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Only curious what the fastest (at sailing) mono-hull trailer sailors are?

So not referring to catamarans etc, just like a fast sailing classic sailboat that you could also maybe cruise in for a week at sea and being at least 26 feet long.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Multihull. I think catamaran but that Hobie tri foil sure looks like a screamer.
You should try a small multihull when you get a chance. They are a blast!

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
This is interesting question. I think Moth class sailboat will be faster than a catamaran. Here is a neat comparison of speed between 49er, Moth and a kite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l29gGKzmlkU
My fault for not being specific :redface:

No doubt you have found the fastest trailer sailor. I was looking for the fastest mono-haul trailer sailor that you could still cruise in for a week at sea and being at least 26 feet long?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would have to say a hybrid Macgregor 26X with a 50HP outboard which can cruise at 15 MPH in fair seas. If lounging at an anchorage is what you like you can be the first one there.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
My fault for not being specific :redface:

No doubt you have found the fastest trailer sailor. I was looking for the fastest mono-haul trailer sailor that you could still cruise in for a week at sea and being at least 26 feet long?

I would have to say a hybrid Macgregor 26X with a 50HP outboard which can cruise at 15 MPH in fair seas. If lounging at an anchorage is what you like you can be the first one there.
I have to say Benny gave you a technically correct answer, but I doubt it is the one you are really looking for.... :doh:

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
http://www.hobie33class.com/

The Hobie 33 is a highly competitive one-design / PHRF ULDB racer . Easily trailerable with a retractable keel and deck-stepped mast.​

Back in production from:​

Spartan Marine
Robbie Roberson
robbie54@cox.net
ph: 949-632-2949​

Boat Specs:

LOA: 33.0'
LWL: 30.5'
Beam: 8.0'
Draft: 5.5'
Disp: 4,000 lbs.
SA: 429 sq. ft. I = 33.83'
J = 12.4'
P = 35.0'
E = 12.5'
ISP = 36.25'
JSP = 13.125'

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I have to say Benny gave you a technically correct answer, but I doubt it is the one you are really looking for.... :doh:
You are right Phil, I was asking about the fastest sailboat at SAILING, LOL

I'll learn to be even more specific in the future.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Fastest Trailer Sailor

I agree the Hobie 33 is by far the fastest I crewed on one for a year our racing committee set staggered starts based on handicap so we were last to start but always first to finish passed 40'ers like standing still up wind ; down wind with spin they are fast not real comfortable inside real basic with a portapoty type head small beam but it's trailerable used the go for $15,000 used

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
http://www.hobie33class.com/

The Hobie 33 is a highly competitive one-design / PHRF ULDB racer . Easily trailerable with a retractable keel and deck-stepped mast.​

Back in production from:​

Spartan Marine
Robbie Roberson
robbie54@cox.net
ph: 949-632-2949​

Boat Specs:

LOA: 33.0'
LWL: 30.5'
Beam: 8.0'
Draft: 5.5'
Disp: 4,000 lbs.
SA: 429 sq. ft. I = 33.83'
J = 12.4'
P = 35.0'
E = 12.5'
ISP = 36.25'
JSP = 13.125'
Nice! Thanks Stan, this is the type of boat I was looking for.

I would have guessed that the fastest mono-hull trailer sailor would be the 1977-1984 C&C Mega 30, but you are right that the Hobie 33 is faster :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've sailed on the Hobie 33 and it is indeed fast - and a lot of fun. You can camp on it. But give me a motel 6 - where they left the light on.
If you're just talking speed you have to look at the Melges 24 and it's genre.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
A week at sea on a Hobie 33 ?

Pretty Spartan for anything but racing. Hull speed of 7.4 knots. Displacement of 4000 pounds. Looks like a great race sailboat, but for cruising for a week?

My CM 32 has a hull speed of 7.34 knots and a displacement of 4500 pounds, and if my wife would stop screaming at anything over 6 knots, I would sure like to try it.

Clipper Marine 32 aft cabin, center cockpit ketch, is also the largest trailerable sailboat that was made at that time. It is still only one of very few truly large trailerable sailboats. I do not know of another 32 ketch that can be launched, deck stepped in the water, both masts, and retrieved again, single handed, and towed down any highway without special permits with a normal passenger car or pickup.

Sleeps 6 people in 3 groups privately and comfortably. Two heads, full galley, Yanmar diesel, separate private aft cabin. Shore power AC / heat, power hot / cold water, fridge / freezer.

Speed is always a fun thing to toy with on a sailboat. Whenever two or more sailboats are headed in the same direction, the race is on.

www.clippermarine.org

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If you did not include water only, I have seen a Hunter 23 going down the road on it's keel at 60 mph. Pretty scary sight after a tractor trailer came left of center hitting the boat so hard knocking it off the trailer. Luckily, no one was hurt.

crazy dave condon

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
sinnettc said:
Left Coast Dart. 26 feet of fast fun.

http://www.eskimo.com/~leftcst/iWeb/Left_Coast/The_Dart.html

Jim's a nice guy and makes a kick ass boat. :D
$120,000 plus the cost of sails!

I am guessing he builds a little profit margin into that number.

That number took me by surprise, by sharing a name with one of the cheaper automobiles ever made. My best friend in college owned a dodge dart.

That sailboat should be called Duesenberg

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD

Attachments

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
RichH said:
Several will fit that bill if youre looking for 'fast':

E Scow !!!!!! 28ft. http://www.melges.com/boat.php?p=pages/boats/E-scow The E-boat has been made for the past 80 years, since the mid 60s in FRG ... so there are lots of 'used' boats available. Easy to pull a water skier, even in moderate conditions!!!!!!
Melges 24 http://www.melges.com/boat.php?p=pages/boats/m24
be sure your hats are stapled to your head with these boats.
Very fast boats indeed, but I don't think you can cruise in them for a week at sea.

This thread is looking for a specific niche that:
1) You could cruise in for a week at sea
2) Trailerable
3) 26' or longer
4) Fast

Jan 10, 2009
PDQ 32 Deale, MD
a. A moth would require some light packing.

b. You might want to include the F-27 in the search. Yes, it is a multihull, but it meets your other criteria and has some blue water passages to their credit.

c. I had a Stiletto 27 catamaran I cruised, but it does not meet most peoples idea of a cruising boat.

d. Trailering and launching over 30 feet sounds like a drag. Anything with enough ballast to stand-up is going to be HEAVY.

Status
Not open for further replies.