faster props: folding, feathering, max ?

• Thread starter Jim Lynk, ak_lynks@msn.com
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Lynk, ak_lynks@msn.com

I want to go faster in club races, and my competitors all have some sort of folding prop. How to sort all the different models out? Do you pretty much get what you pay for, so that the most expensive (maxiprop) is best? If you have to manuever into a slip do you lose ability with some props? I normally haul my boat every other year and have a diver clean it in the water for alternate years and before races. Do some of these fast props need to be hauled every year?

M

Mark Dixon - UK sailmakers

prop. selection

Any folding or feathering prop will improve your sailing performance. The highest priced doesn't mean it's the best.A Martec folding prop costs 1/2 the price of a Max-prop, and for most boats your size this would be quite adequite depending on your needs. My e-mail is ukessex@earthlink.net if you'd like more info. Mark.

P

PJ

Go with the folding

Practical Sailor did some tests a few years ago & found a folding prop slightly better than a feathering. I went with the Flex-O-Fold by Jensen Marine. Its a geared folding prop so you don't have to mark your shaft to be sure both blades close when racing, & you don't worry about one blade opening when you shift into gear to back out of a slip or put it in reverse when sailing into a slip to fast. One open blade really throws things out of balance. My H34 backs out with no problems and at 2600rpm I'm doing about 6.5K, 2900rpm puts me about 7K. Jensen Marine is out of Canada, & sells direct to the sailor. Ph 905-845-4837. BOL PJ

R

Ron Cousino

prop selection

I purchased a Jensen Flex-o-Fold for my Legend 37.5 about 3 yrs. ago and to date have been very pleased with the overall performance. increase forward speed, avg,s approx. 1/2 to a full knot under both sail and power, and i have much better control and power in reverse. Hope it helps Good Sailing, Capt. Ron

J

Jim Russell

Maxi Adjustable

One advantage of the Maxi (which other feathering may have), is that it can be adjusted. So if the pitch isn't right, it may be increased or decreased. Thus I found that the 16x13 prop standard for my 340 was not the right setting for the maxi. However I can reset it this summer to allow the engine to work at a more appropriate range.

Status
Not open for further replies.