family sailing in a 36.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I currently own an O'day 35 and I am thinking of boat with better sailing performance. I race on a different boat and would not plan on racing my boat. Anyway I have a few questions about the 36.7 and I would appreciate any comments.

How does the boat sail short handed / singlehanded? How is it in 10 kts of wind, 15 kts, 20 kts? Do you need a full crew to keep the boat on her feet in 10 kts of wind?

How is the cockpit for a 5 people who are just out for a few hour day sail? Is there enough room? Are the seats comfortable? Do you think the traveler will be in the way?

How you board the boat? I have a mooring and use a dingy to get to / from the boat. My current boat has a nice swim platform, so getting from the dingy to the boat is easy - place gear on swim plaftform, climb from dingy to platform, put gear on boat, etc. The 36.7 has an open transom but it looks like the backstay adjustor will make getting on the boat difficult. Is that correct or is there a better way?

Last question, why does it seem that there are so many 36.7 models for sail, and at what appear to be low prices? Is there something wrong with the boat? Is the boat obsolete? Or, with so many boats built, there are many available?

Thanks!
Barry

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
The 36.7 is a faster boat for sure and it may be difficult for single handed however it can be done.

All lines lead back to the cockpit however single handed is difficult unless you have roller furling and lazyjacks. These boats are usually for a crew of 3-7. Autohelm would be my first purchase if I were planning on doing single or double handed.

Seating is tight for 5 however this is more or a racer and crew are usually moving around from the rail and then back to the cockpit. The space is tight due to the traveller location and shins are sure to be bumped if you are not looking. The big wheel looks cool and allows the driver to sit on the side but getting around it may be an issue.

No swim platform because it is a race-cruiser so there are trade offs. The middle seat behind the wheel does flip up though so you can walk through there.

Construction is good however its not a Swan so of course the market prices reflect that. Prices are a bit lower due to the economy. Also the fact that many 36.7s have been raced and with that is the perception that can lower boat prices compared to a similar size Beneteau cruiser that has not been raced.

Try to locate one that is newer which has not been abused. You will pay slightly more and a good survey will tell you if the vessel has been "ridden hard and hung up wet".

If it were me I would opt for better performace + speed over creature comforts.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.