False fume alarm ?

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Just winterizing my Island packet and i always pour RV antifreeze into the bilge to run through the manual and auto bilge pumps.
Then my fume alarm kept going off, does the antifreeze have something in it that the alarm detects?
IMG_5179.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The alarms will detect almost any organic vapor, such as diesel fuel, alcohol, some cleaning compounds, and of course propane.

When Second Star developed a fuel leak the alarm went off. The other day my wife was cleaning under the stove and the alarm went off, the cleaning solution had some alcohol in it. Had to cut power to the sensor for an hour to clear the air.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
propylene glycol
The primary components are either ethanol or propylene glycol. You may remember from your high school chemistry class that ethanol is the “kick” in Kickapoo Joy Juice—grain alcohol.

So I assume the vapor detector can pick up the ethanol vapor.

Greg

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
I have a funny story about propane detectors. It didn’t take place on a boat but in our RV while we were on an extended road trip. So when we’re camping our dog sleeps in a little cubby under our bed and usually sleeps with her head to the left, close to where the propane detector lives. We’d been on an extended trip and run out of Glindas (the dog) normal food and had switched her to some food that left her a bit gassy. That night I was roused out of bed by a blaring alarm. Looking under the bed I saw, and smelled, Glinda snoring away peacefully with her rear end aimed right at the blaring propane alarm !

We found some other food for Glinda

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
propylene glycol
The primary components are either ethanol or propylene glycol. You may remember from your high school chemistry class that ethanol is the “kick” in Kickapoo Joy Juice—grain alcohol.

So I assume the vapor detector can pick up the ethanol vapor.

Greg
High school chemistry class and Vicky DelGreco my lab partner. She was so hot she could set off smoke detectors just walking down the hallway. So many reactions with her, thanks.

Yes, even charging batteries that off-gass have set a smoke detector off if you don’t ventilate the area. My wife found a new way last winter using an air-fryer. I’m glad we have a combination detector with voice alarms because I have lost my ability to hear the alarm.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
...Looking under the bed I saw, and smelled, Glinda snoring away peacefully with her rear end aimed right at the blaring propane alarm !
Contact the manufacturer and see if you can get a kickback for a new marketing product line..... I can think of so many applications for a fart detector.