Fair asking price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt Gibson

I am placing my beloved O'day for sail, to be boatless for a time while saving for something I can cruise bluewater on. O'day have gone, but there appears to be a strong following. Can anyone tell me what my 240 might fetch? I'd be offering her for sale in the US, not in Canada. Cheers. Matt

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

NADA, BUCNET

Matt, Check out the NADA or BUCNET websites for market valuations on your boat. Or, give us some info and I can look up the value for you. Things that will matter include year condition and equipment. NADA gave me this baseline price: 8700 - 12310 BUCNET said: 8300 - 9550 USD Both were based on 1989 boat in good condition. As you can see, there is a lot of varriation. I would list it in the classifieds on this page, and anywhere else you can think of. The key is visibility. Good luck. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Matt Gibson

She goes to Boston

I have listed my boat with a broker in the Boston area. I will be sailing her to Boston in the next month, unless she sells along the way. Fat chance that I think. I'll let you know what I get for her, when she goes. So on to the next question, then. I am tempted to remove as much gear as possible for installation on the next boat. Thoughts on that? Ta Matt Gibson

J

Justin -O'day Owner's Web

Removing Gear from the Boat

Matt, The key things about removing gear are to ensure that the gear you want to take off is gone before anyt prospective buyer sees the boat, and to leave the former installations so that it is not glaring that something is missing. Otherwise, the issue is one of recovering value against making the boat as attractive as possible to people who come aboard. You are not going to add enough to the value of the boat by leaving a particular piece of gear aboard to be able to purchase a new item of the same type. On the other hand, if any of the gear is nearing the end of its service life, you might do better to leave it and defray the cost of the new item you were going to purchase anyway. You also might want to look at the equippage of the sort of boats you are looking to move up to in order to see what you are likely to get with the purchase. The last several boats I have sold, I have sent off as complete packages because they move better that way. Your milage may varry. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

M

Matt Gibson

I guess I'll leave the stuff aboard

So, I think I shall leave the boat essentially as is. Perchance that will make here more attractive to her new owner. I would help me tons if it sold quickly, though I think that may be a truism. Anyone sucessfully brought old gelcoat back to life? Matt

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

See the thread going on elsewhere on the site

Matt, I think you are wise to leave the gear aboard. It will do more to sell the boat than you might think. There is a thread running about products like poli-glo, etc in another forum. I am going to try one of the products on my boat this season. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.