Failure to Burp a Volvo drip less packing gland

Status
Not open for further replies.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Does anyone know what could happen if a boat was hauled and then put back in the water without burping a Volvo Dripless packing gland?

I ask as I just bought a boat with this type of gland it was not burped after being put back in the water after the survey. The boat has since been motored about 40 hours.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If not burped and if an air bubble is trapped at the faces, the seal will get hot and damage the soft face. If the seal has a vent tube on it, that generally would not happen as the tube could replace the burp and vent the air. If the seal is not leaking after motoring for that many hours, there is no damage.. The damage would normally happen within about 2 hours of motoring.
Burp it so ya feel better about running it and feel lucky ..
That seal is not like the PSS .. It needs grease every season or so to keep it happy. Volvo grease, of course..
http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteColle...Parts brochures/Rubber Stuffing Box (Eng).pdf

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
If not burped and if an air bubble is trapped at the faces, the seal will get hot and damage the soft face. If the seal has a vent tube on it, that generally would not happen as the tube could replace the burp and vent the air. If the seal is not leaking after motoring for that many hours, there is no damage.. The damage would normally happen within about 2 hours of motoring.
Burp it so ya feel better about running it and feel lucky ..
That seal is not like the PSS .. It needs grease every season or so to keep it happy. Volvo grease, of course..
http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteColle...Parts brochures/Rubber Stuffing Box (Eng).pdf
This isn't the drippless seal. I'm having a heck of a time finding anything on on the dripless model.

Whoops, maybe it is! Mine has a water hose and thru hull attached for water circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.