Failed Garmin chart plotter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
(Just a personal opinion/observation and I'll shut up, but it seems these contraptions are responsible for more skippers on a shoal, than fog is).
Since the advent of the plotter we see far less boats on the rocks than before. Used to be you could not go a weekend without seeing or hearing of a grounding on the VHF. From what I see groundings are actually rarer these days than in the days before nearly every boat had a plotter. I can't recall the last time I stepped onto a boat in Casco Bay that did not have a plotter and I am on about 3-10 different boats per week..

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I just brought my (new to me) C30 from Pensacola to La. It has an older Garmin chart plotter that I was skeptical of the data because of age. Particularly due to the areas I went through were ravaged by major hurricanes over the last ten years or so. I was surprised how many markers were right where they should be and the depths were as accurate as I would have expected. I learned how to use it on the way and became very accustomed to checking it before any paper or electronic charts. It was invaluable in plotting courses and maintaining course. I'll always have one of these contraptions on my boat from now on.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I'm suprised to hear the Garmin comments, I bought a 440s that was on clearance a few years back and it's been flawless.

You had two screens crack in a week? Wow! So the glass just cracked while it was sitting there in it's stand? Was it a hot to cold issue, sun over heating it? What do you think caused it?

On my Garmin 440s I have to curser over items on the chart (markers) and then I get and information box about the selected item that pops up. I think the numbers are on the markers though if I zoom in on them. Maybe not, can't recall now.

DanM.
Dan, that's funny as I also bought a Garmin 440S a few years back on clearance for around $400 bucks & it even came with the depth sounder transducer. You could pay several hundred $$ just for the transducer & sounder feature alone. (Now they charge an extra $150 + for the transducer). Mine has also worked flawlessly (knock on wood) except that the transducer reading does get squirelly now & then when in thin water. Does yours? For what we paid, I think that the Garmin chartplotter with integrated sounder is a great little package. The only downside is if it gives it up, we have no sounder or Nav. plotter.

But I also keep NavX program on the I phone as a backup.
I also always keep my paper charts handy on the C30's huge Nav. station table, so there is no excuse for any prudent sailor not to have their paper charts at the ready in an emergency. I don't know why anyone with a smart phone would ever bother to buy a handheld GPS, when you could buy a Smart phone for the price of one. Maybe that's why they don't support them anymore, ya' think? Cheers, Jeremy

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Recommend the Ipad 3 with GPS. I downloaded the Garmin Bluechart Mobile app, then paid $50 for charts that cover the entire North America down into the Bahamas. Has the Bahama Explorer Charts built in with Active Captain..Great Product.

Have had the Garmin 3010 installed going on 12years. Never had a problem. Oh damn might have just jinxed myself....

May 29, 2013
catalina 30 dana point
I tend to agree that technology is moving so fast that 10 yr. young electronics may be obsolete. But, if it still works and gives you the desired results/data for your style of sailing, keep it. In your case, the product failed so it is a mute point. Look at this as a buying decision, upgrade, etc.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
10 years! The Raymarine C70 chartplotter, Raystar 125 GPS and RD218 radar I installed in 2008 are already obsolete. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.