Failed donation attempts

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Hello all,

This is my 1st post, so be kind!

I just inherited a 1966 O'Day Mariner on a Shoreline trailer. This was the new and previously well cared for and joyously sailed family boat for many years. Unfortunately, due to the decline in my folks health, it's been ignored for the past several years and is very dirty and needs a fair amount of TLC. It's been stored outside under a tarp and it appears to still be quite sound. All the sails, equipment, hatches, cushions, and most of the floorboards have been stored inside the house.

Here's my challenge: I'm in the process of emptying out their house in order to sell it and this boat is on the property still. I have a larger (newer) sailboat near where I live in Baltimore, which is 2 hours away, so I don't want to keep it and fix it up. I have contacted many boat donation agencies and have been told that due to the fact that they use a 3rd party to take care of boat donations, they wouldn't make any money taking something this age. I don't want to send her to the landfill, but I'm not sure what to do now.

Any suggestions? The boat is 30 minutes south of D.C.

Many thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  • Is there a sailing club out near Annapolis that might be interested?
  • Is there a high school in the area with a sailing club?
  • How about a sailing group near Alexandria? Old boats are often better for the small club than the a big non-profit.
  • How about the Sea Scouts?
  • or try a local Coast Guard station. They may have an idea.
  • I also though at one time the Navy Yard in DC had a Special Services facility that offered sailing to military families.
  • I know that NAS Norfolk had a facility and I think NAS Patuxent River had a Special Services facility offering boating.
Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You were not sugar coating it. It does need a good wash down. The trailer is showing rust, and I would not want to take it on the highway till bearings and tires were fully inspected and repaired.
I this condition a give away would be quick. Park it on the roadside and say Free as is. Someone would be getting a project that they could make in to a nice day sailer.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Camp Letts, Mayo, Anne Arundel County
Central Ave - Rte 214, MD /// Otherwise, as a flower box in the front yard?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Having had to clean out my parents house and my inlaws residence, and knowing the stress and problems that creates, I would take it to the dump. Sorry but that's what I would do. Let it go.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Also, see if a metal scrap dealer would take the centerboard. That may pay for the dump fee.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
you already tried craigslist? ebay?

best offer... of course in 4 months it will go much faster.

what are you doing w./ the airstream?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I thought the same thing as MrBill when I saw that photo. What's up with the Airstream?...When I have stuff I don't want to go into the landfill I put it on Craigslist for a ridiculous price. Something like this: Classic 19' pocket-cruiser sailboat, all parts, sails and trailer; $150 cash.
Someone will cart it off.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
power wash it and it will look a whole lot better. Take some pictures, and it will sell. I bet you if the sails are there and the mast and boom, you could get few hundred.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Talk to me about the airstream!
Throw it in and I'll take the boat off your hands.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Local PBS station here in Tidewater Area adevertises that they would take boats as donations. Perhaps the same would be true with your local station.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Hi Ron,
I also live in Fairfax county and if I remember correctly, if you park an unlicensed car or trailer on the road you risk getting a ticket with a hefty fine.
You could try craigslist, especially as the Spring sailing season is coming, although even if you list it as "free", it may take a while to get rid of it.
Like Shemandr, my first boat needed a ton of work and it was easier and cheaper to haul it to the dump and then go buy a C22. Lorton is much closer to the dump than Belle Haven is. ;-) Possibly the idea of selling the keel for scrap to cover getting rid of it would work for you.
Hope this helps,
Dan