Facet Fuel Pump

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
A new gremlin popped up this past week while on the boat. I have a Universal M25 with a Facet fuel pump. Normally, when I turn the key, the pump clicks approximately once a second while the glow plugs warm up. This time however, when I turn the key, the pump clicks very rapidly for a second or two, then settles in to it's once a second rhythm. The engine fires right up but I'm concerned about the rapid clicking. Any thoughts? Full disclosure: I have not replaced the filter inside the pump recently. I have it, I just need to install it.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm not sure how the fuel filter would affect it, but a tiny dab of air in the line could do it. I'd want to change the filter, and bleed the system well, then see what it does.

Ken

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I have a Facet and it has most always clicked rapidly when I first turn the key and then slows down. I always assumed it was clicking rapidly at first as it built up pressure and then slowed down when it reached whatever pressure it gets to. Never been any problem or leaks.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The fast clicking at the start is suggestive of lack of pressure. It's possible that you have a small leak downstream of the pump letting a very small amount of pressure release when the engine is sitting. Are there any smells of diesel in the engine compartment? If it were a leak upstream of the pump I would expect it to pull air and cause the engine to run rough. And if the filter were clogged it would cause the pump to run consistently slower, not your symptoms.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
I would certainly check and or replace the internal facet filter. Mine became choked with crud from a water and fuel issue I experienced this season. Upon turning the key and energizing the glow plug I made a comment about how fast the pump was clicking and pretty much knew something was amiss. The engine fired, ran for a few seconds and died. Took the system apart and cleaned from the tank pickup tube to the main engine fuel filter. Once completed it was the normal clicking again. You may have accumulated some contaminates in that small filter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
No diesel smell that I've detected but I'll check more thoroughly next time I'm at the boat. Replacing the filter has been high on my list of things to do so I guess now is the time.
Stu, thanks for always reminding me of the wiki! It's come in handy in the past and this time as well. Question for you though, what knurled knob are you referring to?