Fabric Glue for Liner

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Howard

The fabric liner on my old H-27 has pulled off of the foam backing. I purchased a replacement fabric and want to attach it. The foam is in good shape so I don't want to scrape it off the fiberglass interior of the hull. Any suggestions as to what glue to use to affix the fabris to the foam would be helpful. I concerned that some of the glues would decompose the foam and others would soak through the replacement liner. (The new fabris is a extra heavy grade of upholestry fabric). (Boy can't I spell....can't type muche either). Any way any suggestions would be helpful. What did Hunter use in the 70's ? Nelsonhow @aol.com

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Fabric woes

My only major disappointment so far with my old lady, undightly (and ugly!) fabric separated from from the foam and hanging limply everywhere. I pulled it off completely from the v-berth and quarter berth, and have it propped in the salon. I spot-tested many different glues, and I have come to the conclusion that the foam does have to be scraped and a new foam-backed liner properly installed. A long, smelly, and expensive job! I am considering buying the same thin cork sheeting as is now on the underside of the companion hatch, and contact-gluing that instead of foam-backed cabin liner...

J

Jim McCue

glue

If this is a fabric-y matterial layered onto a foam base which has separated, I had a SAAB headliner which separated of similar construction. I Bought 3M spray adhesive which comes in a tall spray paint type can for about $10. Use a 3/8 nap paint roller to roll the new fabric onto the geberously adhesive sprayed "base" so you don't get "fingerpoints" into the fabric. Hold the can about 12-18 inches from the surface to be sprayed. Find the adhesive at autoparts or Straus/Pep Boys. Jim McCue s/v Safeharbor

W

Warren Renninger

3M Glue

I used 3M headliner spray adhesive and have had no problems 2 years later. Go ahead and try it. Get some help when you do it. You need to hold the fabric away from the foam and spray both to adhere correctly. When you are ready to reapply the fabric, a third or fourth hand to correctly position the fabric when rolling it one is really handly. I did it myself and wish I had help.

D

Doug B

Do it right..... (oops)

Sorry, First response didnt get typed before submiting. It is almost impossible to attach a fabric to foam, regardless of product. It is just not made to do that. I would highly recommending buying foam backed vinyl from hunter marine. They sell it for around $13.00 a yard (54" height) or so (less than half of retail) and have a nice ivory/tan color. It is light weight and the foam will adhere to prepped fiberglass surface for the long term...something heavyweight fabric on foam wont do. One of the staterooms in our boat had done what you are trying to do. It was that way when we bought it and we could not get it to stay up with any spray on or brush on adhesive. Good luck and happy sailing!

A

art

Gluehead

Getting ready to start a similar project.Autoheadliner material from a local auto uph supplier is appx $6/yd,width appx 52 inches.Adhesive recommended by several auto shops is 3 M Super Adhesive for high temps.These local "experts"tell me I can reglue any loose orig material and then adhere new material to the old.This would provide additional sound and temperature insulation.Other advice includes getting 4 hands instead of two to do the job.Does anyone have any other suggestions before I plunge in?Plan to get started within 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.