Eyebrow Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
The teak (I believe) eyebrow trim on my "new to me" O'Day 28 is missing. Has anyone had to replace it, or had new teak trim made. If so where. Called Rudy, he does not have. Suggested maybe using teak toe rails and splicing them together. Will keep this in mind, but as a last resort. Any ideas? Looking at sailboat on the web, and many have wood eyebrow. Try to find this common part and "Lots of luck!!!"

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
I took it off of my O'day. Filled the holes and put a blue pinstripe there :). I've been removing as much teak as possible and replacing it with stainless or pvc

Jun 10, 2004
Oday 28 Fin Keel Lake George, N.Y.
The eyebrow is busted on the port side of mine. We just bought the boat and plan to fix the eyebrow soon. Let us know if you find an easy solution for replacement! Boat looks too handsome with teak to take it off!

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I must cast my vote for tcwaltz. I would rather have something that looks good all the time rather than something that looks great for a while and bad most of the time. But I sure will support anyone that wants to maintain varnished exterior teak. Just don't let it go...

good luck guys!!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Mine is busted on the port side also. It should be pretty easy to rip a board on a small table saw and then use a belt sander to round it off. A few issues to consider. Finding a teak board long enough and with straight grain and no knots for the length. If the grain starts to go across the cut line it will have a tendency to peel over time. I'm not sure the length of mine but I will guess it is longer than a standard 8 foot board.
I plan to remove it and do the fill the holes and vinyl tape method. Too much trouble maintaining that little strip just for looks.

May 16, 2011
Oday 28 Niceville, FL
Honestly the amount of cetol the po got on the hull made me hate dealing with it. Sort of like the handrails. They had been sanded do much they were thin. I have stainless now. Much less maintenance and I can tie stuff off to them.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I fix stuff like this all the time and all it takes is some teak boards, a table saw and a router and you can make up new ones. You will have to splice them together by cutting angles 8:1 scarfs, but that is not hard to do and you don't have to quite go to that angle either to make it work. Just don't butt up 90 degree joints. That is hokey.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
Keep the teak! Not hard to make yourself as explained above... Be sure to seal back side with epoxy to prevent water soaking into wood and lifting finish - that will extend the life of varnish or finish. Nothing like a nice finish on some trim but keep it within reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.