extra winch in oceanis 351

Status
Not open for further replies.

redege

Jun 29, 2012
beneteau oceanis 351 queensland
Hi! My oceanis 351 came with 2 lewmar self tailing winches, and at times I would really like another one, especially on the port side, since that is where it seems to be needed most. Has anyone added a winch here, and what would be the best place for one? Mounting it seems to be difficult, because the inner shell inside the cabin gets in the way of bolting one down..
Any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

redege

Jun 29, 2012
excellent article, thanks for sharing! It is certainly not a quick fix, but solid and well executed. Cheers!

redege

Jun 29, 2012
joker460 has a great traveller modification posted under boat info/owner modifications.
On the photos 2 new winches were added where the gib locking cleats are. This would be my place of preference for the new winches. Anyone got any suggestions/photos how to install??

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
@redege

Did you mean on the cabin top opposite the existing winch that came with the boat.

I have that also. The previous owner added. I can take some photos of that if you're interested.

With the reloaction to the wheel area there are 2 advantages.
1.) Don't have to leave the wheel while I tack.
2.) I don't have to walk over the genoa lead when I need to get to the bow. A tripping hazzard in rough weather.

Last edited:

redege

Jun 29, 2012
cheers joker460, I can see what you mean! I still do prefer them up front, when sailing with other people they don't have to step on my toes while at the wheel. Singlehanded down the back is best of course. If you could show me some photos of the mounting inside, that would be great! Great modification of the traveller by the way!

redege

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks for the photos mate..It looks like a straight mount through the hull and the inner shell. I am trying to find some winches now..! Cheers

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
No problem. Good luck with the winches.

I can say that I was out on the lake yesterday with 21 knot winds and 1 meter swells and having those winches mounted back of the wheel made a huge difference.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.