Extra Halard for P303

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

As some of you may have noticed, I have been responding to some of the 303 items. I recently purchased a 303 and pick up the boat in two weeks. The journey home will take me through Lake Michigan, Lake Huron and into Georgian Bay. Some 500 miles. The boat does not have a spinnaker halyard, and I want to add one ASAP. Can anyone advise if this is easy? The mast is up and I did not have an opportunity to check this out during my first inspection. Thanks Charlie

C

Charlie

Spinnaker Halyard

Thanks Rich. The first photo shows a ring at the forward side of the mast. This would be used to fasten a block and halyard for a spinnaker. I have not seen the top of the mast on my boat as the mast was up and the boat covered when I did my inspection. The boat is 400 miles from here so I can't run out to look and want to be prepared when I go to get the boat. If it is the same as yours, installing a halyard will be quite easy. Charlie

C

Charlie

Halyard for Spinnaker

Thanks Rich. The first photo shows a ring at the forward side of the mast. This would be used to fasten a block and halyard for a spinnaker. I have not seen the top of the mast on my boat as the mast was up and the boat covered when I did my inspection. The boat is 400 miles from here so I can't run out to look and want to be prepared when I go to get the boat. If it is the same as yours, installing a halyard will be quite easy. Charlie

PaulM

Apr 22, 2006
Pearson 303 Houston
Spin Halyard

Charlie, I think the ease of adding a spin halyard will depend on the mast you have. I have the Isomat NG-46 with internal halyards. It has a removable cap on the top to access the sheaves and add new halyards. I can take some pictures of mine next time I'm at the boat. Paul P303, #224

C

Charlie

Extra Halyard

I have the boat home after a trip of over 500 miles up lake Michigan, across Lake Huron and down Georgeon Bay to the Trent Canal. The mast is down so I can see what is needed. Not the same as the pictures of your mast but not too bad either. There is a cap on the top of the mast and an extra slot and pully for a halyard that leads forward of the jib and forestay. Not as far forward as I would like but should be OK. I needed to cut an exit slot in the mast for the line to exit and I have cut this on the port side above the jib halyard slot. I can use the winch on the side of the mast for the halyard as the jib halyard will be tied off on the cleat at the side of the mast. Hope to pull the halyard tommorrow and step the mast again. Now what I need is the spinnaker car that fits the mast. Thanks for the information. Charlie

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Charlie...

Fair winds on your new purchase! I have hull #121 with an after-market in mast Seldon furler.

C

Charlie

Extra Halyard for P303

Thanks for the information. I have added the halyard OK. There is an extra pulley and slots with a roller leading forward of the forestay. These are hidden by a plate at the top of the mast but removing two screws reveals all. If you take this top cap off, be careful as the pulleys may fall out. Feeding the halyard was easy and nothing was needed other than the halyard itself and cutting an exit slot at the bottom of the mast. Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.