External Bow Thruster Install on a H41DS

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I just wanted to share my experience with the installation and operation of the external thruster on our H41DS. I have read a number of earlier posts on this subject many of which were negative regarding the previous vendor. I purchased this 300S Yacht Thruster from the Yacht Group in Cape Coral, FL. My sales person was Derek Tamargo. I can only say that his patience and support during the purchase and install was excellent. I self installed the unit and it was a relatively painless process. The operation is as good as I expected and hoped for. I have attached a few of the pictures of the installation. I am please with how the boat operates and there does not appear to be any performance degradation from its placement. I can say if anyone is interested in getting one of these my experience has been excellent contrary to earlier posts on this subject.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I just wanted to share my experience with the installation and operation of the external thruster on our H41DS. I have read a number of earlier posts on this subject many of which were negative regarding the previous vendor. I purchased this 300S Yacht Thruster from the Yacht Group in Cape Coral, FL. My sales person was Derek Tamargo. I can only say that his patience and support during the purchase and install was excellent. I self installed the unit and it was a relatively painless process. The operation is as good as I expected and hoped for. I have attached a few of the pictures of the installation. I am please with how the boat operates and there does not appear to be any performance degradation from its placement. I can say if anyone is interested in getting one of these my experience has been excellent contrary to earlier posts on this subject.
Nice job. I wonder could you please post some pics of the plug you drilled out of the hull? My 44DS is not much different from your 41 and I am just curious on the layup.
Thanks
Rick

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nice job. I wonder could you please post some pics of the plug you drilled out of the hull? My 44DS is not much different from your 41 and I am just curious on the layup.
Thanks
Rick
LOL I had forgot about the plug until you asked about it. It was still in the drill bit. But since you asked here is more information than you wanted. I seemed to have drilled a lot of holes in my boat
5149 is the plug from the thruster Install (bottom of boat at bow)
5150 is the plug from the electric winch install (cabin top) BTW that is a layer of aluminum
5151 is the plug from the anchor washdown install (deck at anchor locker)
5152 is all three plugs.

Attachments

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nice. How much drag? Or how much slower do you sail??
As far as the drag goes I see no appreciable change while motoring and I have yet to see if there is any significant drag while sailing. I have read .5 to .7kt but no confirmation on that as of yet.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
As far as the drag goes I see no appreciable change while motoring and I have yet to see if there is any significant drag while sailing. I have read .5 to .7kt but no confirmation on that as of yet.
Well worth it though. I wouldn't be without one.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I helped install a yacht thruster on a wilbur 34 flybridge (really hard to dock because of huge windage), a single screw downeast lobster boat style.
The installation was easy and it works very well. Like you, we worked with Derek and their support was excellent. Has worked flawlessly for a year, only issue is the plastic panels that fill in the joint between the two sections came off - only held on by some tiny screws.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I helped install a yacht thruster on a wilbur 34 flybridge (really hard to dock because of huge windage), a single screw downeast lobster boat style.
The installation was easy and it works very well. Like you, we worked with Derek and their support was excellent. Has worked flawlessly for a year, only issue is the plastic panels that fill in the joint between the two sections came off - only held on by some tiny screws.
Chuckwayne, thanks for the information. Yeah that connection seemed to be tenuous. We will have to see how it fares! Happy with it so far though.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Mine is the normal type and is very hard to get the barnices off it, this design look much better, with winds over 12 I can only manage to stay in the same place without turning, how is your working with wind?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Mine is the normal type and is very hard to get the barnices off it, this design look much better, with winds over 12 I can only manage to stay in the same place without turning, how is your working with wind?
Actually very well. 90 degrees into the wind (10-12kts) in 30 seconds

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I installed myself the same 24V Exturn bowthruster in the spring of 2013. It has worked without a problem untill the beginning of the summer in 2018. I diagnosed a probable water intrusion in the body, gears or electric motor were blocked. I then remembered the words of the manager at the yard I was carrying out the installation. He said "You will get water intrusion after a couple of years bacause there is a lot of force being applied to the installation". I always thought this was about water getting into the hull. Now I think he maybe meant the inside the outside bulb. Can't ask him anymore as he left the yard.
I contacted SidePower in Norway to enquire about parts exchange (send in the defect one, get a repaired one for the price of the overhaul), but I got nowhere, apart from the fact that they told me that these units are build "bullet proof". Bought a new one, still have to disassemble the old one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
these units are build "bullet proof"
Maybe they are in Norway.
But is is obvious that your’s “Bit the Bullet” off the coast of Monaco. Maybe there are stronger or tougher bullets off the coast of Southern France.

Apr 1, 2016
Hunter 41 Boston
I had the exact same unit installed on my Hunter 41 two years ago. Derek was my salesman as well. I am very happy with everything this far. I had a problem with the battery’s dying over the winter and when I called with some questions they were extremely helpful and responsive.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
You could drain the oil when ever hauling as for new bottom paint and check for water
and helped a friend do this recently with other unit.
We drained the oil and refilled with new and at same time check for metal bits or water.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Can you be more specific about the oil draining from these units? I don’t see how to do this.