Explain a basic boat plumbing system.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
So what is the problem with having a city water hookup on a boat?
When was the last time you had an issue in your house? know anybody that has had flooding? now if you don't know how to do plumbing then sure that would be something for you to avoid but I'm not seeing the problem.
There is no problem if done correctly with the proper pressure reducer and check valve when someone is onboard. The fear expressed here is what might go wrong when no one is onboard but that same fear doesn't seem to apply to their real home which might not sink but could cause considerably more damage economically if a similar leak were to occur.

People live with the same risk at home but I guess lots of people find it unacceptable on a boat of substantially lesser value.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
So what is the problem with having a city water hookup on a boat?
When was the last time you had an issue in your house? know anybody that has had flooding? now if you don't know how to do plumbing then sure that would be something for you to avoid but I'm not seeing the problem.
First and foremost, as Ron said the pressure is to high. The systems in a boat are not designed to take that. Next, if you do reduce them down, a boat MOVES, a LOT. and homes do not. Next, if a leak develops, a boat will sink! A house will not. Just to much to go wrong and go wrong in a big way! :cry: Not long after rebuilding our water system, a line popped off the hot water heater in our head. It happened when we were at work and we lost the water in our port water tank. The bilge pump worked and we did not sink. Had the water been coming from a city supply, .... who knows.

And on to the other question......
Less than a month ago, the line after our meter and before our hose developed a leak. I didn't catch it until I could see water bubbling up in the side yard. Thousands of $$$ gone! :eek: BUT, the house didn't sink. :dance:

About a year ago, our son got to purchase a hose of his own for a low cost. Seems just before escrow closed (for the previous offer) a line broke in the wall of the master bedroom. The break was not discovered for some time as no one was in the house. It was discovered by the guy next door when he saw water coming out from under the front door. BUT, it was lucky, the house did not sink!!! :D

I was just presenting my view of the post. As I said, we each make our own decisions.

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, pretty simple, when it works. The admonitions that folks with plumbing high pressure connections to PRVs on the coamings is ALWAYS: "turn the water off when you leave the boat."

Or else...

Just a little bit of reality, even in the WM Advisors, IIRC.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Has ANYONE ever seen a quality sailboat come from the manufacturer with a city water inlet? What's that tell you? I suspect if an insurance claim was made over a sinking due to a city water inlet the term 'gross negligence' would come up more than once.

My first slip in the marina was next to a home built sailboat with such an inlet. I soon learned the owner passed away onboard a couple of months before I arrived. His surviving family could not emotionally part with the boat just yet so they continued to pay the slip rent but never - and I mean never ever - came to check on the boat.

I looked at the inlet, made sure the water was turned off at the dock box, looked at the narrow floating finger dock that separated us and imagined what could have happened if a plumbing problem developed on that boat, it filled with water and sank right there still tied to the finger dock I was also tied to.

I made a slip relocation request which was immediately granted.

Dec 7, 2012
Oday 22 Chattanooga
Alright, let me back up. I apologize for my response if it was uncivil. I just hate those threads where it turns into admonishment vs. actual responses.

As for structural integrity; I come from an engineering background and am well aware that interior fiber-glassing plays a large role in the strength of the outer hull.

I am not removing the bunk via destruction, I am simply re-purposing that area. I will be removing a small foot section of upper bench glass to serve as the head floor in addition to the 2 that is already their. This is, in my opinion, too small of a reduction to see any structural change to the hull. However, to prevent any issue; an new fiberglass floor is being constructed in that area. As a result, the horizontal, or lateral load force should remain the same.

This is a 1977 boat, way before computer load modeling so I have to believe these things were WAY over built simply to not have any issues. If a 1 foot area of a bunk being removed is my downfall; then letting her sink is probably the better way to go.

The rest of the bunk will serve as the table and storage area for the kitchen and various other interior components (pumps, on demand heater, etc.).

As you can see, this slight modification will allow me to build a head with a manual toilet and shower. It should work well. Venting and appropriate sealing of the built in shower line will be important; but it should work great.

This interior work comes after I did a complete upper deck break down, correction and re-assembly.

I don't intend to live in boat, in dock. So I have no need for municipal water. Either a manual, or preferably electric, freshwater filter to fill the tank will suffice. I intend to place a 20-23 gallon free form (V shaped) water tank in the front V berth and to balance this with batteries placed in the rear bilge. Keeping the tank near full will ensure a nice front to rear balance.

I get it is a small boat, but it is the boat I have and I don't really need anything bigger. I like that I can tow it everywhere with ease when I want to.

Jan 22, 2008
NorSea 27 Az., Doing the To-Do list
Chatt,

GO FOR IT! I have seen MANY small boats with great systems. We, at 27 are considered small.

The rest of the graphic is good. It was only the city water supply that worried me. And even more so when it comes from West Marine, who should know better!

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Proactive, A GREAT way to be!!;)
Thanks. I try not to be a worrier or a hand wringer. I saw something that was not right with me so why wait? Wait for what? In my opinion if the home builder considered a city water inlet acceptable, what else might he have done? Nope, time to move.

Back on topic though,
My structural comments were intended to raise a consideration that had not been previously mentioned. I didn't need a resume' or any details, just had it been considered. Your boat, your choice.

I just hate those threads where it turns into admonishment vs. actual responses.
The other side of that same coin are the posters who ask a question and then take issue with the responses. Were ANY of the responses useful to you? If so, your posts thus far don't mention it.

We had a guy here this past year who started a thread asking about something (I don't remember what) and in the same opening post proceeded to specify the type of responses he deemed acceptable. [paraphrased] "Do not respond with this or that, I don't want to hear it. Respond with only supportive comments or don't respond at all."
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=150421

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Has ANYONE ever seen a quality sailboat come from the manufacturer with a city water inlet?
Almost all high end as well as other boat builders include such connection either as standard equipment or as an additional expense option.

As I walk down my dock, I see almost every boat and absolutely every large Searay has a dock water connection.

This discussion brings to mind the other often contentious debate usually started by someone making an absolute statement to the effect every boat should be white and then gets in his red/blue/black... car to drive to his marina.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Almost all high end as well as other boat builders include such connection either as standard equipment or as an additional expense option.

As I walk down my dock, I see almost every boat and absolutely every large Searay has a dock water connection.

This discussion brings to mind the other often contentious debate usually started by someone making an absolute statement to the effect every boat should be white and then gets in his red/blue/black... car to drive to his marina.
I agree 100%.

I installed dockside water in our boat back in '08 and she's still floating. As with any installation it's about doing it right and being a responsible boat owner.

A proper installation includes a regulated inlet. I installed a Jabsco that limits inlet water to 35psi, a check valve that prevents backflow of water from the boat, a brass quick disconnect fitting, a potable water hose to connect to the dock and a charcoal filter that filters water before it enters the hose.

Turn the water on at the dock when you're staying on board and turn it off when you leave so there's no chance of flooding. It's no more dangerous than having a seacock below the waterline, but just like a seacock you should close it when no one is aboard to guard against the unlikely event that a hose gives out.

Chatt, it's your boat. People have done amazing things with small cruisers. I say make her yours. Take your time, read and research. It's good advice about asking specific questions - it will get you more specific answers.

Best of luck customizing your boat
Jim

Jan 22, 2008
So high end boats have them now, installed at the factory? Who exactly are these builders? I'll tell ya this, my used low end boat will never have one. For me they were bad form 40 years ago and still are today.

Lordy, are these boats or Winnebago's?? :D

Last edited: