Expensive - so let's save money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Based on what I see around the dock, and what I have helped others with there are some things that cost nothing to not much that will save big bucks in the long run. No doubt others will be able to add to this list

1 Exercise through hulls so they don’t freeze up
2 Engine - change the engine oil and filter.
3 Prevent corrosion – keep zincs underwater and in the cooling system in good shape
4 Fix deck leaks before they cause rot
5 Prevent corrosion – use a corrosion inhibitor on engine mounts, stern tube, electrical wiring,
6 Replace hoses on engine and elsewhere before they fail
7 Prevent sun damage – put the shades on the dodger and covers on the sails
8 Prevent sun damage – protect the dinghy
9 Prevent sun damage – protect the binnacle and electronics
10 Change out hose clamps (and double clamp) before they corrode out
11 Engine – change the transmission fluid
12 Engine – Change the coolant
13 Service the winches and windlass
14 Clean the bilge, keep foreign bodies our of the bilge pump(s)
15 Service the head
16 Portlights – replace gaskets, lubricate dogs, re bed before you damage by forcing and they leak anyway.
17 Wiring – secure before it chafes
18 Halyards and other – quiet before they wear and/or your neighbors shoot you
19 Booms – prevent them from “wagging” so the goose necks, sails, sail covers and sheets are not wearing right at the dock.
20 Don’t slam her into gear or from forward to reverse with the engine revving too high
21 Replace the “fan belt” before it breaks
22 Don’t let your shore power cause electrolysis
23 Check your dock lines

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
Sounds like just good seamanship and sound boat maintenance practices. But I agree, these are basics and should happen everytime.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Sadly, in my experience, less than 5% of the sail boats I have been on have been maintained in this manner.. This is why it is sooooooo hard to find a good used boat..

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
People only want to sell their boat after the back log of maintainence is so huge it's easier to buy another boat.

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
I'm planning a sailing-based retirement, funded by doing all those things for boat-owners who are too lazy/busy/rich/indifferent to do those themselves. (not kidding)

So, shhhh already !

Maintenance is HAAAARRRD! You must hire a pro and pay handsomely!

I thank you in advance.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Selling a boat with a "to do list".

Why is it that most used boats a person looks at have a bunch of items that the current owner says "I have the parts but haven't mounted them yet"? Or the other response is "that just needs a quick adjustment".

I loved to come back with "when you get that done I'll be back and if you're right we might have a deal". I've never heard back from any of these yoyo's.

Every boat we've owned I've had in perfect condition and sold to the first person to look at them. Two boats sold to the first caller upon their inspection. If sellers would simply spend a little money to repair rather than make excuses they would do much better. There must be a business doing these things in larger marine locations. If not then detailing/repair would be an opportunity for some of the younger up and coming sailors.
Ray

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
Anchor windless maintenance? Oh-oh. What needs to be done besides keeping oil in it?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
People use boats as they use their cars. Do only enough to keep it running and trade it every few years. Sadly many treat their homes the same way. I can't count the times that people have called me with a long list of repairs that are needed to get the house market ready. Some of these are items they have lived with for years. I once changed the cabinets in a kitchen because the owners had broken a couple of drawers. I can make replacement draws for a whole lot less the the price of replacing the entire cabinet.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Maintenance means different things to different people. Also, newer boats require far less maintenance than older ones.

People sell boat for far more varied reasons than the maintenance list gets large - some want a bigger boat, some a smaller boat, some a different boat, some want an RV, some want no boat.

I see way too many people spending all their free time cleaning, polishing, waxing, tinkering so much that they don't have time to actually use the boat.

All of the things in John's list are appropriate but not necessarily all are required over a short time period,e.g., securing wiring is or should be a one-time requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.