Expected life of a fuel line hose?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I replaced a fuel line yesterday and found that the gasoline had some black stuff in it. I suspect it was a cloud of very fine solids as I was able to mix it. I also suspect that it was a hose deteriorating. What's the expected lifetime for a fuel hose that is not exposed to UV? The engine bay does not see any extreme temperatures

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I suspect 5 years is two soon, 20 years to long. 12.5 years just about right.
Said Goldi”hose”locks.

With the addition of ethanol to gasoline, hose life has been altered.

• Ha
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am guessing mine are original to the boat…1988 built. So 36 years old at present.

diesel though, not gas.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
And don’t mix epoxy in one….ask me how I know :yikes:

Many other useful functions though…:beer:

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are getting black stuff from your fuel line, it is past time to replace the fuel line. Be certain to use USCG rated fuel hose and not something from Amazon or the auto parts store. The USCG rated hose is less likely to permeate gas vapors which in an enclosed space like a boat, well you know the results. That and your insurance company may find fault with your installation.

For epoxy, save your dairy containers, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc. They don't melt. :cool:

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you are getting black stuff from your fuel line, it is past time to replace the fuel line. Be certain to use USCG rated fuel hose and not something from Amazon or the auto parts store. The USCG rated hose is less likely to permeate gas vapors which in an enclosed space like a boat, well you know the results. That and your insurance company may find fault with your installation.

For epoxy, save your dairy containers, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese, etc. They don't melt. :cool:
Most of the hoses are only a couple of years old. Maybe it's time to check the seals on the fuel filter?

Thanks for the info on permeation. The admiral's biggest complaint is that the cabin smells like an engine and/or gas. I've also found that the stuff labelled as "fuel injection hose" doesn't like to stretch over barbs

When I first started working with fiberglass, I managed to melt a few epoxy specific containers trying to mix too much at once :biggrin: