Exhaust Tape?

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Hi All.. Does anyone know what the metallic wrap is around the exhaust riser? I peeled ours off to inspect the riser. I've been able to get the fiberglass wrap back on but i'm not sure what this metallic foil actually is. everything i find online says not for use on headers or exhaust pipes..

Thanks.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It is not the exhaust repair tape you see in auto parts stores. It is a metal based tape sometimes used to cover holes, etc. I have seen it used to cover bullet holes in aircraft. It might be available through hardware outlets, but I'm pretty sure Catalina Direct can supply it. As you noted, it is wrapped around the fiberglass wrapping, not directly on the riser.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Looks more like this... a foil, rather than a silver backed fiberglass tape.

Capture11.PNG

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Looks more like this... a foil, rather than a silver backed fiberglass tape.

View attachment 175392
Yes, it is a foil, wrapped around the fiberglass insulation. The first time I re-wrapped my riser, Catalina Direct sent me a kit with the fiberglass and metal foil. This was in response to the issues the C310 had with the bulkhead getting burned from the hot exhaust.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Yes, it is a foil, wrapped around the fiberglass insulation. The first time I re-wrapped my riser, Catalina Direct sent me a kit with the fiberglass and metal foil. This was in response to the issues the C310 had with the bulkhead getting burned from the hot exhaust.
essentially this?

Gold Foil

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I thought this wasn't tape? Do like the gold would add a bit of bling!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Aluminum foil tape. In the airplane industry, known as "speed tape".