Exhaust Systems

Feb 22, 2006
Hi,

My name is Bill Merrick. I have an Alden Mistral, Serial number 981-A which was built in 1964. The Mistral has the same basic configuration as a Challenger or Zephyr and is kind of a mix between the two. LOA is 36' 4". I bought the boat as a project boat two years ago, lost a year becasue of other commitments and am now back on track with the boat re-fit.

The boat has a Westerbeke 4-108. The old exhaust system was remove before I bought it but was told it was junk and needed to be re-designed anyway. I've looked at several options with a Vernalift Wet muffler system but it doesn't seem to really work. They either want the wet muffler below the engine manifold which doesn't really work on this boat or dry exhaust to a wet elbow that's placed relitively high above the water line. My exhaust thru fitting is at the transum. Before I invest in a lengthy dry exhaust system, I'd like to know that it's the correct way to go.

Any recommendations. Pictures would sure help.

Bill Merrick
Alden Mistral S/N 981-A
Seattle WA

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Hi Bill, sorry I don't have any info for you but

could you tell us more about your boat? I haven't seen a Mistral yet and would love to know how many were built, where etc. Any pictures would be great too.

With alittle more info, maybe someone would have a similar exhaust set up.

Thanks