Exhaust pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan

I am considering purchasing an 84 Catalina 27 with a universal diesel. The exhaust appears to be wraped in a gauze-like material. Any idea what this stuff is made of? Is there any reason to insulate the exhaust system?

D

Dave

Al: I hate to tell you but the gauze material is probably asbestos......If you decide to remove it use a good mask, and wet it down good before you cut it off. I will leave it up to you as to how you dispose of it.....As for insulating the exhaust I recommend the exhaust pipe from the manifold to the cooler be covered with insulation. There are nice glass type (non-asbestos) wrappings available.....Best to secure any wrapping with copper wire rather than iron...Good luck

D

Dave Ullrich

It gets HOT

The reason it is wrapped is so you don't get burnt. Those exhause systems on the raw water cooled Universals get REALLY hot.

B

Bob Camarena

Check out an Automotive Supply Store

After replacing the exhaust piping on my C-30, I wrapped it with a high tech wrapping designed for high performance cars. It seemed relatively expensive, and looked a lot like a fiberglass Ace bandage, but it worked like a charm. You wet it, wrap it, and secure with stainless steel straps. You might want to inspect your piping while you're at it, they deteriorate over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.