Example Installation Diesel Heater Hunter 326

RobAL

Oct 25, 2020
Hunter 326 Lytham, Lancashire, England
I raised this subject here before and received some great advice, based on the Eberspacher installation guide. Before I start the install, is there anybody who has installed one on a Hunter 326 and could show me some pictures? Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You might not find photos of an Eberspacher diesel heater installation on your 326 but there are videos and photos of ones on other boats that will give a good idea of the installation. When Iooked into it the largest cost was labour, unless you do it yourself, and I have read that a number of forum members have installed their own diesel heaters. Great opportunity to post photos with a discussion on this site's 326 of your project.

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
Hi RobAL, just wondering how your installation is going?
I have partially installed a unit on my H326, installing the heater unit laterally under the port cabin seat in the forward compartment (away from the fridge etc) with a small plastic tank for diesel behind it. The air intake is facing in to the cabin and will draw air from the compartment. The hot air out vent is facing the hull side and is to be led aft via a 90 deg bend.
Now the hard bit :( !
I intend to take the very hot diesel exhaust forward into the bottom of the V berth port side cupboard and then up, between the back of the mattress and the rear cabin wall then up beside the opening louvered window to the cabin top then around and down a bit before exiting the boat through an elbow hull fitting in the side of the v berth cabin side wall. How to insulate and still make this run look neat will be fun. The diesel exhaust on the outside is to have a vent cover over it to hopefully keep out the water without restricting the air flow too much.
Actually I haven't touched the job since last winter, and I should get on with it soon.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sounds like a long exhaust run. Check the install manual. There may be a limited length for the exhaust hose.

They make an insulation cover for the exhaust hose.

Jun 6, 2020
Hunter 326 Hasting, Westernport Bay
I may not have explained myself clearly - the unit is mounted just behind the bulkhead between the V Berth and main cabin under the front of the STARBOARD side bench seat. The exhaust run is about 4ft.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
4 ft is not bad. A chandler that sells boat diesel heaters should be able to supply exhaust pipe insulation. In the old days we called it asbestos. They fave changed that to a fiberglass weaved cloth.

22mm-24mm-30mm high temperature exhaust insulation (shown with optional stand-offs and clamps).
1644587777148.jpeg

RobAL

Oct 25, 2020
Hunter 326 Lytham, Lancashire, England
Hi Stuendan

I haven't started it yet but was considering mounting the heater based on the example in the Eberspacher installation advice manual i.e. in one of the cockpit lockers, routing the exhaust to exit through the transom and drawing the fresh air from outside. If possible I would like to use the void that's between the two lower lockers (the ones accessed from the swim deck), providing there's enough space and safe distance from the main fuel tank to mount the heater. To gain service access I would need to cut a removable section in the wood panel at the back of the rear berth. I'm visiting the boat soon and will see what's possible with my plans.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
For my hydronic system, I used a multi-layered approach. I used a woven fiberglass sleeve that was threaded through a silicone covered fire wrap. At my muffler I put two layers of header wrap. I would not say that the exhaust line is cool but I can hold my hand on it when it is on full burn. the most I have seen with my IR thermometer is 100ºF

Attachments