Evinrude clearance in transom

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray Lewis

Has anyone had experience with the 9.9 Evinrude, vintage 97, not clearing the top of the opening when tilting the engine forward? I would like to be able to lift the engine out of the water when at mooring. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ray Lewis

B

Brian

outboards

I have a 1998 9.9 Yamaha on my C27 and have the same problem. I somewhat solved it by removing the hinges to the compartment cover. Then I take the motor cover off, tilt up the motor, put the engine cover back on, and put the "lid" back down. When the motor is down the compartment cover is flat but when it's up it won't close all the way, hence the removal of the hinges. The motor should pass through the transom with the engine cover off. I suppose you could enlarge the transom opening, but it's more work than I want to get into.....

P

Peter Hine

Lazarette?

I presume you mean that the OB won't clear the lazarette hatch, as that is the same problem I had when I replaced my '90 Evinrude 9.9 with a 2000 Johnson 15. (The 15 is the same engine as the 9.9, just higher tuned.) I took the hatchcover off, used a sabre saw to cut out a hole in the hatchcover, on the aft end of the hatch. The hole is about 8" x 8". I bought some of the new "star-board" plastic large enough to cover the hole, and about 1/4" thick. I then screwed the "star-board" cover down using strips of 3/8 or 1/2" star-board (I don't remember which) around fore, port and starboard sides of the perimeter of the hole. This gives you a sort of "seahood" which is high enough to give you just enough clearance between the motor powerhead cover and the star-board hood. It also took a little sabersaw work to cut away about 1/2" of the hull linetr that serves as the deck just behind the lazarette hatch. Now the 15 tilts up just fine, except you bark your knuckles on the underside of the deck where I had to cut it away a little. That is solved by using a block and tackle (like a mini-boom vang) with one end terminating at the stern rail, and the other thru a hole drilled thru the fin above the cavitation plate above the prop. Now I just release the lever at the bottom of the powerhead that secures the OB in the up or down position, and pull up the lower unit using the block & tackle. With a cleat on the tackle, it also acts as another way to secure the OB in the up position besides that lever.

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Very common

The hole for the outboard is notoriously too small for newer 4 strokes. Mine won't tilt up at all and I'm too lazy to make the proper modifications. Luckily, I'm in fresh water so I just keep it scrubbed but I do have to take the entire motor off to maintain it. LaDonna

Status
Not open for further replies.