Everyone Knows It's Windy

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
As long as it's not gusting much over 25, and the friends are good for it; I can Reef heavily and go. It's more like work than fun in those conditions in my boat, but it's doable. Took my middle daughter out under similar conditions, except gusting a little stronger. Coming out of the Fowl river into the bay, we saw one center console fisherman giving up and coming in. When he hit the river, we had the bay to ourselves. I have a roller main and roller Genoa, so I can Reef down to a handkerchief if necessary. We ran out to the ship channel and back easily making hull speed. I confess to motoring through the tack to keep the excitement to a minimum. My daughter was ready to head for the river to get in calmer conditions for lunch and I was ok with that.

Water ballast and a glass dagger puts me on the lighter end compared to many of you. I heel a bit in gusts over 25. I've taken out friends that were new to sailing (both sexes), that almost panicked at 15 degrees of heel. They would have been scared to death in the conditions posed. Fortunately, my daughter has more game than that. We heard the few loose items in the cabin rearranging themselves several times.

Those conditions for a few hours weren't bad, but I wouldn't choose to do it much longer on purpose. As I said, it's more work than fun in those conditions on my boat. We had the advantage of leaving the dock knowing what was coming. I think it's a bit easier than being out and having a squall sneak up on you while you've got a lot of sail up.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
My boat handles 25-30k no problem, but the loads are very high and it takes more thought to assure things go right. E.g. at those wind speeds we want to make the tacks crisp and fast so the headsail doesn’t flap itself excessively. An errant body appendage near a winch, an accidental gybe, or override wouldn’t be good especially under those loads.
For those reasons, over 25k I’d go sailing with experienced sailors, but with non sailors I’d stay back on the mooring or ashore. If you’re not active crew you’re in the way.
Agility of the guest also affects my judgement.

• Helpful
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Well, I might Cherish the opportunity. I don't know how many times I wish I'd told you. When the wind has Stormy Eyes that flash at the sound of lies, you might ask me when I'll grow tired of you, lose my desire for you, but NEVER, my love.

Sweeping down the streets of the city, we'll sing a requiem when along comes Mary. Red was the color of my blood flowing thin, white was the color of my palid skin, yet I'll be smiling at everybody I meet for when we met I was sure out to lunch but now my empty cup is as sweet as the punch when everyone knows its windy.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My wife would be no! But my daughter and friend are always up for an adventure. We took our 310 out several times with high winds and have learned she does pretty well. Having someone on the traveler to dump power is helpful too.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
My wife would be no! But my daughter and friend are always up for an adventure. We took our 310 out several times with high winds and have learned she does pretty well. Having someone on the traveler to dump power is helpful too.
I have my traveler on a continuous line that loops from one to the other and is long enough to drape over the binnacle. That way, I can control the traveler from the helm. The load on the wheel is the first indication of too much power and I can correct faster than I can give an order for someone else to do it for me.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
On Lake Erie, if there are small craft warnings out, we don't even like to be out there unless we already are. That said, it takes more than gusts to 25 to get there. So no, I wouldn't take out guests with a small craft warning in effect. Luckily, we have the bay in Erie, Pa, so we will sometimes go out on the bay when the main lake is ugly.

I do have a fond memory of taking my daughter, son in law and their 2 yr old daughter out last year. Beautiful day, though the wind picked up some and it got a little chunky. Just getting to where it was good sailing. I had a reef in though normally we wouldn't. My grand daughter was doing great, until she turned green and wasn't. Luckily for me, her dad's shirt caught the brunt of the attack. Lake Erie, if course, manages to get everyone seasick one time or another. Kids are resilient. She seemed fine after she trashed her Dad's clean clothes. So another consideration with guests if they aren't used to sailing.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
It would depend on the seas. If it was an offshore breeze, a reef would give us a comfortable sail.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Here I thought this thread was going to be about music....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Serious side of things. At the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay there is a fine line between a 25 knot winds, a small craft advisory and a shit hits the fan moment. I live in an old fishing village with working watermen living all around me who know it all to well. If they are not taking their "deadrise" out there is no way I am taking a sailboat out.

If that's not enough, from the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay south down the coast of North Carolina is known as the graveyard of the Atlantic. Hundreds of years of history to be learned from there too.

I will error on the side of safety.