Ever move to a Powerboat and did you regret it?

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
A blasphemous question, no doubt :redface:

But, it is a question I've been pondering for awhile. . .well, since I started living aboard my Ranger 33 (17 months now, heading into my second winter).

I quite enjoy living on my boat. I quite enjoy sailing (when there is wind). But I find getting the boat ready to go sailing to be a pain in the butt. And I find coming back from a sail and getting everything put back to be a pain in the butt.

It's not so much that there is a lot of stuff, it's more so the stuff I have to live and really no where practical to put it. I think this has a lot to do with the boat though. It's just not setup for long term anything. For example, I have a nice single serve coffee maker I got for x-mas. It's great on the counter top. . .until I want to go out. It then needs to be disassembled, cleaned, drained, and dried so it can be stored on it's back under the galley. Once back in port, it's all pulled back out. I have several items (including a dorm fridge) that all need to be secured.

I'd think a lot of this can be remedied with a proper boat. I really like the looks and layout of the Pearson 365. It actually has a nice galley with room for all my utensils, pots, pans, cups, etc. . .so I wouldn't have to stack them all in a basket and wedge them behind a settee cushion in the v-berth.

But then while looking at boats, it's hard not to drift over to the powerboat listing on Yatchworld. I also like the original Mainship 34's and the trunk cabin trawlers like an Albin 36. Not having to worry about laying the boat over 20 degrees each way and dumping stuff is tempting ;) And the living room is impressive.

The running costs do frighten me, but if it got me out on the water more frequently, it might be worth it? I enjoy sailing, but I enjoy just being out on the water more. But what do you do with a power boat? I can't see just puttering around for a few hours then heading back in. . .

Sailing is a thing to do, and you do it in a sailboat. . .

So with that little bit of background, I figured this would be a good place seeing there is a diverse range of past and present boat owners. I'm sure there has to be a few people who went from one to the other and back, or even from powerboat to sailboat and wish they still had the powerboat. Just soliciting opinions, not making any decisions right now.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I know of a guy with a Ranger Tug that he spends a lot of time on, but he still kept his West Wight Potter 15 to go sailing.

I one time counted up all the different kinds of power and sail boats that I would like to own, each one has a different purpose. You know, if I were a 1%er who didn't have other obligations :D I think I counted up 10 or 12 different boats!

I grew up on runabouts, so I've never had that sail OR powerboat problem - I like 'em all! Same goes for the road bike vs. mountain bike debate - just go ride! :D

So, I figure you could get a big old motor cruiser like a Mainship, and live on that, and then have some nice, fun little sailboat to go, well, have fun on! You can take the Mainship out and anchor from time to time. Maybe get a go-fast boat like the RS Aero, which could store ON the Mainship, anchor out, and then buzz the Mainship from the planing skiff singlehander! Oh, now this is starting to sound fun!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
At some point many sailers reluctantly end up making the transition to power, mainly because agility and age considerations. That doesn't mean that the work becomes any easier in regard to loading up before a trip, or off loading. after. There is still significant cleanup and maintenance work to be done on a regular basis.

The plus side is that there is more room on a trawler. You can possibly rationalize some of the fuel cost by comparing that to the cost of replacing sails and rigging over time. You will sacrifice some of the quiet of sailing for the sound of a bigger diesel engine or two.

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
The Mac is easy to trailer - so no marina expenses - but it kind'a sucks for fishing; thus we also have a 27ft pontoon boat. We go out and don't touch land for a week or more. But then, that is for lakes here in Arizona.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There is an old adage that goes; "A power boat Captain gets on his boat and goes somewhere while a sailboat Captain gets on his boat and he is already there". I think when you start living aboard a sailboat you might get your sense of being already there and no longer feel the urge to get on the boat and move it. This seems like a normal reaction judging from observation of many liveaboards. One curious thing is that none seem to accept the fact that they no longer want to take the boat out and are always planning a trip or giving excuses why they can't move the boat now. On the other hand liveaboard powerboaters seem to be more content with being aboard and not moving their boats. It may be they have no place to go. They have no big trip plans and offer no excuses. There is of course a third class of liveaboards and that is a cruising liveaboard to whom sailing is a never ending daytrip. Perhaps a house boat with a little launch would be what is called for. These are just my observations which should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure others will have very different opinions.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I used to be a power boater, and still have a powercruiser, but its on a trailer and only use it for overnight crabbing/fishing trips... but i am no longer a power boater. i dont identify with them anymore and I cant really justify the expense in fuel costs with a large engine when there are so many other options.... some powerboats are more efficient than others, burt when you have throttle left, you tend to use it a lot more than one realizes, until the tank refill...

I see no shame in motoring my sailboat 50 (or even much more) miles on a cruise and burning 3 or 4 gallons of fuel... it has eveything i need when i leave the dock, and everything i need when i get to where im going....and nothing is out of place or needs to be put away.

if there is wind, i can be a bit more energy efficient and get a bit more excitement from the trip.
I already own it so there is no payments, but all things being relatively equal, the actual yearly maintenance is only slightly less than a powerboat.

a sailboat is a much safer craft in rough weather than a powerboat is... this may be arguable depending on the operators skills and what you consider rough weather, but almost any worthy sailboat with take a 360 roll and still float away... powerboats, not so much....
green water over the bow on the sailboat can be exciting (sometimes destructive).... green water over the bow on a powerboat is scary, dangerous and almost always destructive.

im not in a hurry any more and I like comfort. and as a longtime powerboater, I fully appreciate the ability to use whatever means of propulsion that i choose to.... and have the ability along with my dream of being able to take off and wander wherever i want to without the worry of mechanical failure or the forever present large fuel bills at the end of each passage/trip..... i have many other thoughts as well on the subject, but i wont ramble:D

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Owned Clipper Marine 26 and smaller sailboats for many years. Decided to get a new 2101 Seaswirl in 2004 and used it in Bodega Bay area for fishing mostly. Found I didn't really enjoy it or use it often so changed back to a sailboat last year. I like my Catalina 250 but hate its skimpy rudder! Will fix that next spring before I launch her.
Cool Beans: Launching and retrieving a power boat at the launch each time you use it is a way bigger pain than a marina tied sailboat. Then you need an RV to stay on the beach in and I can't tow but one of them at a time! I'll take the sailboat! Chief

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
If you are going to live aboard a bigger sailboat would be the way to go. Look at it this way, you know from experience what you need to be comfortable and get to go sailing when necessary without too much hassle. You know best what you need to be comfortable and what you could do without. It would seem to me that a powerboat would need just as much prep to go out as a sailboat. While they don't heel they sure get tossed around in a chop or a big wake. Ever listen to VHF and hear them beg for a slow pass and not get one?

I plan to trawlerize my boat when I can't sail due to age or health. I'll just motor. I'm in no hurry.

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
You can always put a sailable dinghy on your boat so you go sailing whenever you want to. I have never sailed one but a neighbor has one and says they are allot of fun.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Know what a pain it is, how much more work it is, not getting any younger BUT - there is nothing like a nicely trimmed sail upwind. My thoughts.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I seem to see very few powerboats overnighting at anchorages. Do they just motor to marinas? Do they not anchor because of windage? Seems like they miss half the fun.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
Went from power boats to sail-will not go back.. Sailing is far to much quiet, peaceful enjoyment. And Then, the wind pipes up and it is great fun. What more could you ask for. Power is just noise and anybody can do it. Never lived on a boat, so do not know what I would want-I guess a house boat with a small sailboat in tow.

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
You have already crossed over to the "DARK" side. You just don't know it ! ! ! Most power boats offer more creature comforts and convince when comparing similar lengths. The most notable difference is the "down below" sailboat design vs power boats more above deck style design. Hard to fight the "livability" factor, but would be nice to afford both wouldn't it ! My thought is power boat for livability and small sail for fun or there are always people looking for crew. Kind of a reality is most live abords (power or sail) don't leave the dock very often. As your boat becomes more of a home it becomes harder to use it as a boat (just watch as you water line goes lower and lower each year !). I know of one guy (sailboat) that did not untie his lines for seven years !

Thinking I see a trawler in your future !

Jan 6, 2010
Cool,

It really doesn't matter whether power or sail pal, a boat is a boat. I have sailing friends that made the switch & it's all good. Floating is floating.

I do have two sail-to-power-switch friends with the Albin 36's. They are a nice boat, made well. The diesel will save on fuel costs, you NEVER want a gas boat for obvious reasons.

Alot of folks eventually move from sail to trawlers anyway, for some, it's a natural order of progression. I would suggest to go on forums for boats you are looking at & get their input first.

CR

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I am surprised that the poster named Chuck Bear has not weighed in on this ...he is one that has gone from sail to trawler and lives aboard his boat...i think he also writes publications for various magazines from time to time maybe he will give you some insight on this subject

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I tried driving a Mainship, it was over 10 years ago, I think it was a 30', didn't care for it. They hook you with "You can cruise at 16 knots", in reality, not without a fuel tender. Best cruising speed is 6 knots for fuel consumption, hitting waves in the open Pacific was not pleasant. The cockpit sole was a giant fiberglass panel that lifted for engine access, standing on top of a giant Cummins it would vibrate your fillings loose.
Handling around the dock without bow thruster it was like a Jetboat, only had steerage in gear and accelerating, you had to keep bumping it in and out of gear.
The generator was also under your feet and would drive a sane man crazy when running.
Different strokes for different folks but whatever you do try it before you buy it.