ever had a currier and ives moment?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i was invited to be a watch capt on a run from antiqua to new port with one stop at bermuda. 54' cutter rig, all electric controls. boat in A1 condition. we were crossing the stream during the second leg. came on a midnight to three watch. one man per watch. three capts and a cook on board. month of may. these boy were sailors, not motorsailors. the previous watch explained that every 45 min ish a small squall would come through. the wind was 15 kts on the beam and then would pipe up to 25, 30 in the squalls. heavy overcast, heavy air what with the heat of the stream. the watch also mentioned a vessel overtaking us from astern. i could not see it. as soon as i was alone i shut off all the cockpit electrics, and this boat had everything. i clipped in at the helm and turned off the auto pilot. i love driving sailboats, its my favorite thing, and i'm good. three hours of reaching in blue water, in the stream. how cool is that? all three sails were reduced some what. i was rolling along 9 ish , getting 10 / 11 in the squalls. and i had been told that we were being over taken from behind. what could be rolling on me out here on a squally night in the stream. its got to be big. i kept a good watch and finally i see mast head running lights coming out of the haze directly behind me. red and green are even. the rig is tall, way tall :). this is going to be fun. he was using me for a mark. this guy is coming, , big time fast. now i knew from his lights he was healing, sailing. as he was getting closer so was the next squall. with my darkened cockpit, when the lighting flash i could see his sails. the were trimmed well. the squall and i and this mystery ship all came together at once. lots of lightning to see him pass. he sailed below me about 50' off my side. i'm thinking he's doing 14 /15. his sails were all up. trimmed great. it was the J boat ranger. spectacular! very pretty. currier and ives Baby

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So I closed my eyes while reading this and I could see the whole scene. Talk about a dream come true.

You just do not get too many of those moments so enjoy every one of them.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Sounds like a sweet trip. We only saw one boat while crossing and it ghosted behind us all night. Once morning came, it dipped below the horizon and was soon gone.

All U Get

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
So well written; you have more gifts than just your driving abilities. I had chills reading this.
Thanks for sharing, it was a great read.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
So well written; you have more gifts than just your driving abilities. I had chills reading this.
Thanks for sharing, it was a great read.
I thought it was just me. Nice sail and nice story. My stories are a bit less interesting for everyone but me.

Ken

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I've had a couple of similar experiences. One was a daylight experience, being overtaken by Brilliant - but not without a fight. Another was crossing the Gulf of Maine - could see lights closing on me from behind but nothing on radar (stealth ship?). Finally showed up on radar at about 1 mile. It was a Petersen 43 'Heart of Gold' - talked with them later in Tenants Harbor. Took them 19 hrs for the crossing from CC Canal - our Tartan 30 did it in 23. Someday I'll look up the PHRFs and see who won (like it matters).

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Funny how I was reading this and then noticed the calendar over my desk ... "Sailing" calendar with Ranger and Velsheda on the cover for May (I just switched from April to May this morning).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great storyline Jon. Just as it is, it captures the mind of us Sailors. Could see how you might use it as an intro to a novella "Crossing the Stream".
Enjoyed your experience.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not a Currier and Ives moment per se, but I had a calendar made of some of our favorite pictures from our BVIs trip to remember it by.