EV-100 Autopilot Placement

dwcory

Nov 27, 2013
Catalina 30 Salem, MA
Hi all,
I have a 1985 Tall Rig, and I'm about to install the Raymarine EV-100 autopilot. I currently have the original instrument pods, one on either side of the compass, at the same level as the throttle and shift levers. The one to port has depth, and the one to starboard is supposed to have speed, but is non-functional.

I'm thinking of placing the P70s control head for the autopilot in the starboard instrument pod. The directions for it say that you should keep it 2 feet from your compass. The pod is maybe a foot from the compass.

My question is, has anyone put the P70s control head in a similar place, and if so, has there been any interference with the compass?

Thanks!
David Cory
Sandpiper, 1985 TR/BS/FK

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My P70 is about a foot away, the chart plotter closer. Both do NOT impact the compass.

With the EV100 a bigger concern is the drive motor. Be sure that goes as far away as possible. A friend originally mounted it up and it swung the compass both at rest and when steering the boat.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I have my i70 6-8 inches from my compass and there is no interference with the compass.

dwcory

Nov 27, 2013
Catalina 30 Salem, MA
Great! Thanks for the feedback. I'll proceed with the plan to place the control head in that instrument pod.

Great point on the drive motor. I was intending to orient it at the lower starboard side of the wheel. Of course, my wheel brake knob is in that area, and I haven't been to the boat to do a test fit, but I sure hope to be able to make it work in that configuration.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dwcory I am the guy who spun his compass. The wheel control has 2 positions. One up the other down. I chose the wrong one initially. When I made the adjustment to use the second attachment position the compass suddenly worked. It is now about 18 inches beneath the compass. The autopilot and the compass play nice again together.