EV-100 auto helm issues

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My autohelm has been acting up and I just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and may possibly have a solution.

When engaged and it is making corrections the lock lever starts to move up towards free and then back down. Then on the up movement, to releases and the course is lost. This happens in both sail and motoring.

Anyone ??

Thanks,

Rick

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Probably the clutch needs adjustment would be my guess. You might want to have a new belt handy in case it was damaged. Did anyone try to force the wheel when it was in auto mode?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My old ST4000 does that when it dirty inside the wheel…I usually open it up, clean things up, adjust the clutch if necessary and put it back together. Usually need to do it once a season when the clutch starts to “disengage on its own”.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: With Greg regarding cleaning the insides of the EV100 wheel control. Dirt and salt build up inside and a cleaning plus carefully lubing (light weight jewelers oil) certain parts helps. NOT THE BELT!

An important discover I recently made was the need to clean out the inside of the wheel unit and to lightly lube the roller under the belt of the "eccentric" gear. Doing this really improved the operation of my Wheel AP. It stopped jumping.

Another improvement on my unit was to acquire a replacement clutch lever from a fellow in Canada. He 3D prints the units in a stronger plastic than I received from Raymarine. It also correctly sits over the locking nub on the wheel unit frame, which my Raymarine part did not do.20BAF04B-7901-4EEC-BBBF-4481E289CFE2.jpegD18374D0-5D8D-49A4-857C-DD444A9967AF.jpeg
Locking nubs

94643157-3F74-491F-911C-11BAFDEAC39B.jpeg

3D printed clutch arm with enlarged space for locking nub.

Nov 26, 2014
HUNTER h31 Northport L.I.
I've had that same problem, it required me just to tighten set screw that holds lever on as it eventually comes loose with all the engage and disengage movement good luck Eddie

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
When disassembling the wheel drive assembly be gentle. It is easy to break the plastic parts inside. As far as cleaning the inside, you could probably just flush with a hose without disassembling. A new wheel drive unit costs $550. Ask me how I know.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Probably the clutch needs adjustment would be my guess. You might want to have a new belt handy in case it was damaged. Did anyone try to force the wheel when it was in auto mode?
Not to my knowledge...

Oct 22, 2014
Sailme88
Raymarine, and before them Autohelm, designed in the possibility to turn the wheel by force should the wheel system stop working. Essentially turning the wheel against the motor in an emergency.

As you can imagine with the belt, an eccentric clutch gear, a geared electric motor and bearing wheels of extruded plastic held together with screws things can bind and get sideways while the boat is operating.

akar7

Jun 29, 2004
- - -
I had the same issue. Adjusting the clutch and then replacing the clutch cam assembly didn't correct the problem.
I was able to repair the issue by shaving about 1/32" off the clutch arm shaft which added slightly more friction to the clutch lever.
You could also add a thin nylon washer to the backside of the clutch arm which would add the same additional friction.

Oct 22, 2014
@markwbird here is the guy.
Out of Ganges, Canada. Tell him you heard it from me. I told him that if he got it right that I was sure others would ask about his design.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
When disassembling the wheel drive assembly be gentle. It is easy to break the plastic parts inside. As far as cleaning the inside, you could probably just flush with a hose without disassembling. A new wheel drive unit costs $550. Ask me how I know.
Had a similar issue when the plastic locking nub broke. Raymarine will sell the rear ring for about $120. Something they don’t advertise. Better than full the wheel drive assembly. If you go this route look at you tube videos on capturing and installing the little bearings If they get away from you. Ask me how I know too.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 36 Redondo Beach
Wash with water. No need to disassemble. And then put a bungy cord on the arm to provide tension so that it doesn't open. No need to replace. Has now worked perfectly for two years.