European vs Japanese Yanmars...

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
We sail a 2003 H356 and I recently had the new owner or our marina boatyard replace the impeller in the 3GM 27hp Yanmar engine. The impeller had been replaced several years before by the former owner. The new owner informed me that we had the European version of this engine which had a different water pump than the Japanese version and, hence, require a slightly different impeller.

While I could have handled the replacement myself, I considered this job an excellent, low-risk way to get to know the new manager and get a sense of his business style and expertise.

In all the years I have owned this boat and read this forum, I have never seen or heard anything about two versions of this engine. The previous boatyard owner never mentioned it. Can anyone verify what I was told? If there are different versions, are there any other parts or assemblies that differ based on this version?

Thank you.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We sail a 2003 H356 and I recently had the new owner or our marina boatyard replace the impeller in the 3GM 27hp Yanmar engine. The impeller had been replaced several years before by the former owner. The new owner informed me that we had the European version of this engine which had a different water pump than the Japanese version and, hence, require a slightly different impeller.

While I could have handled the replacement myself, I considered this job an excellent, low-risk way to get to know the new manager and get a sense of his business style and expertise.

In all the years I have owned this boat and read this forum, I have never seen or heard anything about two versions of this engine. The previous boatyard owner never mentioned it. Can anyone verify what I was told? If there are different versions, are there any other parts or assemblies that differ based on this version?

Thank you.
All Yanmars are Japanese. They are then shipped to and marinized by Yanmar Europe in the Netherlands.. Yanmar has used many different water pumps over the years everything from Johnson to Jabsco...

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
"Note Engine serial numbers. Engine serial numbers may or may not have prefix letters. The letter 'E' indicates the engine was assembed in Europe. Letter 'E' prefix European engines are identified in parts lsitings with the suffix 'YEU' (Yanmar Eurpean Union). The prefix 'A' indicates the engine was assembled in America (USA) . Currently dealers do not have the means to easily cross reference to build date, date of commission, warranty status etc.."

I can not tell you if they have different water pumps or not.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
European Yanmar pump

I have a Yanmar 3GM30F in my 2000 H340. It has the Yanmar European Version raw water pump a.k.a. "Johnson Pump AB". It is labeled "Johnson 810" on the back cover. I just purchased a new OEM impeller and gasket from my local Yanmar dealer and they looked up and gave me the wrong parts at first. My pump has a O-ring seal and the other pump has the paper gasket. BTW: the wrong impeller and gasket was twice the price ($40+) of the correct "Johnson" parts for my engine.