Ethanol Free Gas App/Website

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
this may already be common knowledge but for me it’s new info. In reading this months Good Old Boat magazine, I came across a short article that identified a website named pure-gas.org I checked out this website and it has an app u can download that lets you locate stations in your area that sell ethanol free gasoline. Thought I would share this info If not previously posted.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Earlier in the year there was an article titled "Living with Ethanol." If you follow the instructions, you will save yourself the hunt. It's quite easy.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
In the NorthEast, most of the Pure-gas.org stations are airports selling leaded aviation gas. This is not good for most outboards.

One good - but expensive - option is VP Small Engines fuel. This is about 5 times the cost of gas at a pump but that will seem cheap if you've ever had your dinghy engine die from ethanol fouling. This gas can sit for years in a tank (or carburetor) and the outboard will still start on the first pull.

Vp Small Engine Fuels Small Engine Fuel, 4 Cycle 5 gal. 6202 - Walmart.com

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I used a website to locate ethanol free gas in my area. After visiting three of the stations, who all claimed to have no knowledge of ethanol free gas, I realized that I should have called them first to verify the availability of Ezero gas. I finally found one nearby that verified on the phone that they did have the Ezero gas, and that a lot of boaters stop there to fill up. Interestingly, many of my fellow yacht club members had assumed that ethanol free gas was illegal in our state (MA), just because it is so hard to find, and, well, everything is illegal in Massachusetts.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I finally found one nearby that verified on the phone that they did have the Ezero gas, and that a lot of boaters stop there to fill up.
Tom, I'm in Massachusetts. Where is this gas station?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So, apparently, some states have easy access to ethanol free gas, and others don't. When I lived in Florida, it wasn't difficult to find ethanol free gas at marinas. In Hawaii, I have three gas stations nearby to choose from to purchase Ezero gas. I don't have a boat here, but we use the Ezero in our yard equipment. Personally, I think it is a good idea to use only ethanol free gas in any engine with a carburetor.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Here in NY ethanol free gas is readily available in upstate, but not down state. Availability may have to do with demand and air pollution concerns.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
The one station selling e-0 within 50 miles of NYC is just over the GW bridge in Fort Lee. It's Sunoco racing fuel. 100 octane at $9.99 a gallon. It cleaned my carb first time I used it. Someone cut my fuel line and spilled all my precious e-0 fuel into the river. I'll try again this year with the fuel line locked up when i leave the boat.
I know of no reason e-0 is lacking in the NYC area. We may not have sprawling lawns but there are still many small gas engines being ruined by ethanol for what? And the farm lobby wants to up the damage with e-15. I don't think the excuse of no oil still holds, so why the ethanol requirement other than a few corn farmers on federal welfare (in addition to all the other farm subsidies).
Yes we need farms but at what cost to the rest of us? Farms are consolidating into mega corporations that do not need these subsidies. Markets forces control cost of food, not production costs so forcing ethanol into our gas doesn't reduce the price. When OPEC shut the faucet in the 1970's, and we were importing more and more oil from overseas, ethanol made sense to stretch the oil with a domestic renewable additive. We are now awash in domestic oil yet we still add ethanol. Public policy is made by the highest bidder it seems.

Jan 11, 2014
The e-zero fuel in Central NY is 90 octane and runs ~$3.25 a gallon if I remember correctly from last summer. It might make sense for the folks in the lower Hudson area to load up a pick up truck with empty 5 gallon jerry cans and bring a load down to the marina.

If I recall correctly, the ethanol was introduced as a replacement for another additive, MBT(?) that was found to be quite damaging to humans and the air around us. Of course, once it was seen as a profitable item for farmers and gives the illusion of being eco-friendly, the gas companies were off to the races.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Anybody know of ethanol free gas in the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC?

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I keep an empty gas can in whatever car I drive outside NY metro area in case I run into ethanol free gas on my travels. With a 6 HP outboard, I only use about 2 gallons a year to get in and out of the marina. Worst case if I run out is stabilizer til I find more.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Actually looking for ethanol free for a 64 Corvette! Uses a little more than a 6 hp outboard.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
been down this road...don't trust the websites who claim stations to have ethanol free....give 'em a call, simple enough....called 6 recently, only 2 carry e-free in my area...10 minutes well spent...

Jan 11, 2014
been down this road...don't trust the websites who claim stations to have ethanol free....give 'em a call, simple enough....called 6 recently, only 2 carry e-free in my area...10 minutes well spent...
Of course you are making the assumption that the person answering the phone actually knows what is being sold at the pump. :confused:

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I've found most DO know what they have, a few have no clue, at least in this area...fwiw...