Ethanol free alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I considering using ethanol free 100 octane aviation fuel for my outboard. All local sources sell 87 auto gas with ethanol and I'd have to add a stabilizer with ethanol treatment. After seeing what the ethanol did to my fuel line and tank in just a few seasons, I'm willing to spend more for better fuel since I only use a few gallons a year.

Anyone else use avgas?

Nov 24, 2009
Catalina C-30 Lake Ray Hubbard
Of course they can legally sell it to anyone. Now, getting them to pull around the fuel truck for a 2 gallon sale is another matter. The smallest biz jets are Cessna Citations and they burn 135 gallons an hour at cruse ($6.50 per gallon) and the numbers go up fast from there. But you are not out of luck. Small airports often have fuel your self pumps and if you are doing all of the work they don't care how much you buy. So you are just going to have to go to work and find a local airport that will sell you gas. An airport with a runway around 3000 to 4000 feet is going to be your best bet.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
I just rebuilt my carburetor on my 2 stroke OB and think I know everything about internal combustion engines. Is the 100 octane fuel just as bad for the engine in other ways like piston rings and valves? Like I said, I really don't know much about it but it seems like I've heard something like this.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Do you know if they will sell it to you "legally"?
My local airport sells to anyone over 18 years old with a legal fuel container. Most people who buy avgas use it as "racing fuel" for their weekend dirt track/stock car whatever.

I just don't see a downside other than $1.00-$1.50 more per gallon.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I just bought some from Whiteman Airport in San Fernando, CA. It is self service but you have to have a regestration number to buy it. I met a guy in the bar at the airport and he bought it for me. There was a sign Authorized Personnel only but we just walked through the gate. I used my card and he punched in his ID code. Gas was $6/gal. He explained that it has an additive to prevent freezing, a color dye so you can see leaks. He also pointed out that it makes a good solvent because it doesn't have a gasoline smell to it.
Tried it out yesterday and the motor seemed to run a little better. He told me that he runs it in his older Mustang. You cannot run it in a car with a catalytic converter.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
100 octane will run just fine in any ICE, it may be overkill for some..

Not sure about the "not run in a car with catalytic converter" as lead was allegedly removed and replaced with MBTE in AV gas...

You can also buy 100 octane, and often higher, at most drag strips at a price less than airports...google VP racing fuels or similar.

Many airports do have restricted access, so you need to find smaller general aviation or again google FBO and your city.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
AvGas LL100

I buy mine at a small local airport. They did roll out the truck and I only bought five gallons. This year, I had a few gallons that were left over from last season. They sat out on my porch all winter and had stabilizer mixed in. The outboard started right up and ran great. With ethanol fuel, I had to have my carb rebuilt three times and finally replaced it.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC

Not sure about the "not run in a car with catalytic converter" as lead was allegedly removed and replaced with MBTE in AV gas...

You can also buy 100 octane, and often higher, at most drag strips at a price less than airports...google VP racing fuels or similar.

Many airports do have restricted access, so you need to find smaller general aviation or again google FBO and your city.
All US airports sell 100LL (Low Lead) for non-jet powered piston engines. It does contain some lead to prevent knock in high compression engines (only a few airplanes actually need it).

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey

The LL in AV100LL stands for low lead. Do not put in car with catalytic converter, Google it.:naughty:

Oct 18, 2009
Pearson P33-1 CD TY Chesapeake Bay
100ll

AVGAS is a great choice! It solved all my small motor issues. I recommended it to the local shop and they have "fixed" and stored motors with it ever since.
The 100LL is rated at altitude and more like 85-90 at sea level. It has a five year tank life, and yes, any red jug type fuel container will be acceptable to your local FBO, (Airport).
There are many ultralight craft flown from backyard strips and it's common for them to fill portable tanks in this day and age. Your small motors will never run better, too! My two scepter 20L jugs make regular trips to the airport. Good choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.